UNIT MANAGER - ENVIRONMENT AND INDUSTRIAL BIOTECHNOLOGIES (M/F)
Your work environment
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You will be part of the LIST Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
The department relies on two cutting-edge platforms, the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform and the Observatory for the Climate and the Environment, and the GreenTech Innovation Centre (GTIC): a one-stop-shop for the complete development of bio-based products and processes.
The selected candidate will lead the Environmental and Industrial Biotechnologies (BIOTECH) RDI unit (https://www.list.lu/en/research/erin/environmental-and-industrial-biotechnologies/). This RDI unit has developed expertise along three major value chains i) proofing new concepts using metabolic engineering and integrative biology approaches for the production of biomolecules of industrial interest produced by plants or microorganisms, ii) developing bio-process engineering solutions to convert organic resources in wastewater treatment and biomethanation plants into clean water, energy and molecules for industry, iii) developing biotechnology-based tools for microbial hazard identification and characterization, as well as decontamination in view of an integrated microbial risk assessment.
The Unit is presently composed of 35 researchers, engineers, technicians and PhD students.
The Unit’s resources include in-house analytical chemistry facilities, integrative biology facilities in genomics, proteomics, and metabolomics, and a bioreactor platform for the culture of heterotrophic and photosynthetic cells and lab-scale pilots, especially for bioenergy and wastewater treatment (https://www.list.lu/en/institute/rd-infrastructures/environmental-research-and-technology/).
What you will be doing
Responsibilities and missions
The Unit Manager is responsible for the overall strategy definition and implementation, management, coordination and performance of the RDI activities of the Unit in line with the overall departmental strategy.
She/he will have to define the Unit’s multi-year strategic roadmap and ensure its effective implementation within the Unit.
The Unit Manager reports directly to the Director the ERIN Department and works in close collaboration with her/his team of Group Leaders to further develop the Unit and strengthen the impact of its research outcomes on society.
The Unit Manager shall create and maintain a harmonious work environment, fostering a constant generation of ideas and innovative research avenues geared towards finding solutions. She/he will stimulate with her/his managers good collaboration and team work amongst employees, managers, and finding relevant synergies with other research groups/partners including industrial ones. She/he shall also instill a good equilibrium of resources and skills within the teams; ensuring their good guidance by the “Group Leaders” and enabling teams to work together to the highest possible standards.
Finally, she/he will support the efficient pooling of human and material resources within the Unit.
Strategy definition and implementation
- Define and propose - in collaboration with the teams- a RDI strategy for the Unit, aligned with the department’s strategy and with LIST missions as an RTO
- Translate the approved strategy through the drafting and implementation of:
- a short, mid and long-term business plan for the Unit
- an ambitious multi-year research programme and an appropriate funding plan
- a valorization strategy of scientific knowledge and technologies geared towards the industrial and/or public sector
- Ensure the implementation of the business plan at all levels of the Unit
- Develop and maintain a pipeline of innovative products and services, transferable to the private and public sectors
- Represent and promote the RDI Unit externally in line with the Department’s communication strategy
- Develop relevant external collaborations, partnerships and networks
- Lead and stimulate a team of experienced managers; work with them to create a stimulating and motivating work environment within the Unit
- Be hierarchically responsible for the Unit and assume the operational responsibility of the Unit’s human resources (support managers, set challenging objectives together, advise managers within the Unit in their career development, be a decisive actor in the Unit’s salary review process, etc.)
- Appraise Group Leaders, promote personal development and cooperation amongst teams. Ensure that personal development plans are effectively implemented in teams
- Work closely with Group Leaders, involve them and rely on them to meet the Unit’s challenges. Animate the unit’s dynamic
- Be an inspirational leader by living up to highest standards in research and innovation, people and resources management
- Initiate collaborations with other research streams; in this context, identify and develop the relevant synergies
- Ensure the financial follow-up of the Unit’s performances
- Make sure that portfolios of associated projects and activities related to the Unit are properly managed
- Propose and implement Capex investments
- Be responsible for the overall scientific and technological outcome of the Unit
- Represent the Unit, promote its staff and sponsor their achievements internally and externally
Besides these priority responsibilities and missions, the Unit Manager may continue to build her/his scientific and technological knowledge and directly contribute to projects relying on his/her high level of expertise.
- Hold a PhD degree in biotechnologies, bioengineering, bioprocessing or a related field of biotechnologies and green chemistry, respectively a degree in life sciences with a specialization in biotechnologies or environmental applications
- Have at least 10 years of relevant professional experience in environmental and/or industrial biotechnologies, within a competitive or industrial RDI environment
- Have a sound and proven knowledge and comprehension of both the industrial and academic domains, have strong experience in building relationships with industries and the advocacy of institutional interests. Previous experience in a RTO is an asset
- Have strong team management experience, especially in an RDI environment
- Have proven experience in the acquisition and management of collaborative projects with industry and competitive European projects
- Demonstrate proven experience as a Principal Investigator in the acquisition and implementation of multi-year RDI and product development projects
- Demonstrate strong experience in developing innovative products, tools and services and bringing new technological solutions, processes or biobased products to the market
- Have a proven high-level scientific and technological track record related to one of the value chains of the Unit she/he leads
- Possess a sound experience in valorizing scientific and technological results (contract research, patents, licences)
- Read C2Write C2Speak C2
- Read A2Write A2Speak A2
- Read A2Write A2Speak A2
- Read A1Write A1Speak A1