EXPERIENCED RESEARCHER IN POLYMER PROCESSING AND ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING/3D PRINTING (M/F)
Your work environment
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You will be part of the LIST Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
The Functional Polymers (FP) Unit at the Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is seeking a Senior R&T Associate in the area of polymer processing. Research into the processing and additive manufacturing / 3D printing of polymeric materials is a key competency in translating innovative solutions from functional polymer science into industrial utilization and real-world applications. The Functional Polymers Unit is part of the Materials Research and Technology (MRT) Department and addresses the tailoring and processing of polymers to achieve specific properties enhancements and multi-functionality through both experimental and numerical approaches, including macromolecular modelling. The unit pursue funding and carries out research through industrial contracts and competitive projects sponsored at the Luxembourgish and European levels, and is presently organized into two research groups focused on 1) the realization of sustainable polymeric materials and 2) the chemistry and physics of smart / responsive polymers. Within this second group, an additional expert domain on polymer processing and additive manufacturing / 3D printing will focus on physical processing (e.g. melt blending) and chemical processing (e.g. reactive extrusion) both generally and as they relate to 3D/4D printing. For this permanent position, we seek an experienced researcher with a strong background in polymer processing, extrusion and additive manufacturing / 3D printing.
What you will be doing
LIST is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) that is strongly project and team oriented. Consequently, the researcher should be comfortable managing a broad range of research projects from fundamental to industrial. These projects will focus primarily on functional / smart polymeric materials, polymer composites and fibres, their compounding and extrusion and the final 3D/4D printed objects, as well as relevant structural, rheological and functional characterization tasks and proof-of-concept demonstrations of the real-world / industrial applications of such materials. The researcher is expected to secure funding to pursue such research, to publish scientific articles and patents and to contribute to the development of future research and technology activities. Such efforts should be performed in strong collaboration with other members of the group, the unit and the department. The researcher should have an excellent academic background and a strong record of accomplishments regarding publications, patents and proposal writing and project management. Experience with application-oriented research is considered a strong asset, including collaboration(s) with industry and transfer of RDI results to public and/or private partners. Experience organizing and/or participating in multilateral research consortia (such as EU projects) would be an additional asset.
Which profile we are looking for
- PhD in Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science, Polymer Engineering, or a related field
- Between 6 to 20 years after PhD completion
- Strong expertise in processing, extrusion and additive manufacturing / 3D printing of multifunctional polymeric materials / (nano-) composites together with the underlying polymer science of 3D/4D printed materials is required
- Evidence of significant research productivity (like publications, patents, project reports, technology transfer) is mandatory
- A team player with the ability to work with a diverse range of colleagues in an international environment is needed
- Track record of independently conceiving, executing and successfully completing projects is essential
- The following additional competencies would be considered strong assets:
- Experience with application-oriented research and industrial partnerships
- Experience supervising graduate students and post-doctoral researchers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills e.g. in publications, patents, reports, presentations and/or proposals
- Ability to effectively mentor and coordinate the efforts of multiple collaborators
- Read C1Write C1Speak C1
- Read B2Write B2Speak B2
- Read B2Write B2Speak B2
- Read B2Write B2Speak B2