RESEARCHER IN BUILDING ENERGY MODELING (BEM) (M/F)
Your work environment
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You will be part of the LIST Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
The department relies on two cutting-edge platforms, the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform and the Observatory for the Climate and the Environment, and the GreenTech Innovation Centre (GTIC): a one-stop-shop for the complete development of bio-based products and processes.
The Environmental Sustainability Assessment and Circularity (SUSTAIN) Unit of the Environmental Research and Innovation department (ERIN) of LIST is developing knowledge, transferable (software) technologies and practical methods for the integrative evaluation and management of the sustainability and toxicological risks of human driven systems.
Within the SUSTAIN Unit, the applicant will be incorporated in the Sustainable Urban and Built Environment (SUBE) research group. The activities conducted within the SUBE group tackle the whole life-cycle of built assets (i.e. Architecture, Engineering, Construction and Operations). They mainly consist in the development and deployment of methods and tools supporting the transition of construction sector towards low-carbon and sustainable built environments (incl. districts and cities), with a strong focus on the digitalisation of processes and information flows (incl. handling Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Digital Twins).
What you will be doing
The candidate will work closely with an interdisciplinary team of junior & senior researchers and engineers.
She/he will contribute to several H2020 funded research and innovation projects, carried out by LIST and its European partners.
In particular, the position focuses on methodologies for the real-time energy performance assessment of new façade components.
As a researcher in the team, the candidate will be mainly involved in tasks associated with the formulation of requirements, the development of the methodology as well as the design and prototyping of the Digital Twin system. Moreover, she/he will actively contribute to deploy the system in the living lab building, monitoring the experiments and validating both the façade components and the Digital Twin system.
On these projects the main tasks foreseen include:
- Contribution to the definition of innovative methodologies associated with the energy performance assessment of buildings, based on Building Information Models and Digital Twins, including real-time data used to calibrate energy models.
- Definition of training modules for professionals in relation with these topics, together with projects’ partners, and/or preparation of training material in relation with these topics.
- Participation in pilot testing of innovative technologies, through the monitoring of actual buildings, incl. interactions with owners and managers.
The researcher will also actively contribute to the scientific dissemination of the projects results as well as the outreach activities to be organised in Luxembourg and abroad.
Which profile we are looking for
- Doctoral degree in Engineering, Architecture or any other relevant domain
- Proven track record and research skills (papers, patents, conference proceedings)
- Previous experience in international/European research and innovation projects is an asset
- A strong knowledge in Building Energy Modeling (BEM) and/or Building Information Modeling (BIM) is required, both being considered as a significant plus
- Knowledge and experience in use, deployment and development of computer-based systems applied to the built environment, especially in relation with Digital Twins, is an asset
- Good communication and Writing skills, including scientific publications and project reports
A motivated expression of initial knowledge and interest in BIM and/or BEM is required, as the candidate should be able to handle both domains ASAP.
The candidate may participate in mentoring and training of Junior R&T Associates and undergraduates/trainees.
The selected person should show collaborative skills, be result-oriented, well organized, and demonstrate its capacity to work in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Read C1Write C1Speak C1
- Read B2Write B2Speak B2
- Read B2Write B2Speak B2
- Read B2Write B2Speak B2