E-2112 - RESEARCHER IN PLANT PHYSIOLOGY AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
The department relies on two cutting-edge platforms, the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform and the Observatory for the Climate and the Environment, and the GreenTech Innovation Centre (GTIC): a one-stop-shop for the complete development of bio-based products and processes.
How will you contribute?
We are looking for a postdoctoral plant biologist who will contribute to the development of a project that is realized in collaboration with the Université catholique de Louvain (UcL, Belgium). The project aims at studying the molecular aspects underlying the response of hemp plants to heavy metals. In this position the selected candidate will:
- Be responsible for the setting up, maintenance of the plant cultures and sample preparation necessary for the whole project duration in collaboration with UcL.
- Perform gene expression analysis using both a targeted (qPCR) and untargeted approach (RNA-Seq).
- Analyse the cell wall proteome of hemp plants using gel-free and gel-based approaches.
- Analyse plant leaves and roots microscopically (optical, fluorescence and confocal microscopy, preparation of samples for TEM).
- Analyse the biochemical composition of extracted cell walls.
- Perform statistical analyses on the data and interpreting them.
- Work as part of a scientific team and participate in team and project meetings.
- Contribute to the organisation of meetings, monitor the advancement of the tasks, ensure the achievement of deliverables/milestones, writing of reports and scientific publications, as well as contribute to the creation of intellectual property rights (patents, licences, etc.).
Is Your profile described below? You think you are our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a PhD in plant molecular biology, plant physiology, plant biochemistry, or closely related field, with a recognised knowledge and technical expertise in plant stress physiology and plant molecular biology. You recently obtained your PhD and had a first post-doctoral experience working as an independent researcher in the framework of a project.
You have a hands-on experience with:
- plant molecular biology: experience in techniques for gene expression analysis (qRT-PCR and RNA-Seq)
- the extraction and analysis of proteins using gel-based and/or gel-free approaches
- bioinformatics (-omics data treatment)
- biochemical analyses (spectrophotometric assays, primary and secondary metabolites’ extraction and quantification)
- experience in microscopy will be an advantage (sample preparation and analysis at the fluorescence, confocal and optical microscope)
- solid skills in statistics for data analysis.
Additionally, you are experienced in:
- paper writing
- reporting/presentation skills - scientific level is expected
- working collegially in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment
Your LIST experience will be
Passion for impact organisation with strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe working on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design notably thanks to our task force empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs with more than 5,000 square meters, including innovations such as our Viswall, high scale incubators or even top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and International work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people in fulfilling their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender friendly environment where multiple actions are made to attract, develop and retain women in Science;
32 days of paid-holiday, 11 public-holiday, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, state health insurance and lunch vouchers;
Personalised learning program to foster our people’s soft and technical skills;
We encourage curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship sparkling everywhere.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and your experience
- A scientific CV, which includes contact details
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable)
- Contact of 2 references
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an Equal Opportunity employer and committed to hiring and retaining a diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability.
- Applications will be reviewed on-going until the position is filled.
- An assessment committee will review the applications and candidate selection will rely on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities.
- The main criterion for selection will be the existing skills and expertise of the applicant and matching with the qualifications mentioned above.
- Read C1Write C1Speak C1
- Read B2Write B2Speak B2