M-2010 - PhD STUDENT IN MATERIAL SCIENCE OR PHYSICS
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
Our needs in energy are extremely high (162.000 TWh in 2017) and keep increasing (+ 1.9 % per year). We have to come up with new strategies and technologies to live in a more sustainable way. In this regard, a strategic field of research is Energy Harvesting (EH), in which LIST-MRT is strongly engaged. In this project, we intend to study an emerging alternative principle of converting heat into electricity. It relies on the variation of electric polarisation that some insulators exhibit when temperature changes. This effect has been first called “thermodielectric” when it was discovered in the 50s; later on, it has been referred to as “pyroelectric energy harvesting”. This effect is the converse effect of the electrocaloric effect, both effects being strongly linked together. We recently made some remarkable discovery on electrocaloric materials [Torello et al., Science 370 (6512), 125 (2020)] and we think that these outstanding results can trigger ideas in thermodielectric materials.
In this PhD, you will investigate heat energy harvesters based on unique macroscopic pyroelectric materials. To do so, you will have to characterize the materials of interest with diverse tools, such as dielectric, ferroelectric set-ups, but also Infra-Red camera and Differential Scanning Calorimetry. You will also be in charge of developing small prototypes.
Is Your profile described below? You think you are our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a Master degree in Materials Science or Experimental Physics, combined with a pronounced taste for experiments, teamwork spirit and strong motivation. A good knowledge of Python programming is a strong asset for this position.
You are fluent in English.
Your LIST experience will be
Passion for impact organization with strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe working on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design notably thanks to our task force empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional Labs with more than 5,000 square meters, including innovations such as our Viswall, high scale incubators or even top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do.
Multicultural and International work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people in fulfilling their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender friendly environment where multiple actions are made to attract, develop and retain women in Science;
32 days of paid-holiday, 11 public-holiday, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, state health insurance and lunch vouchers;
Personalised learning program to foster our people’s soft and technical skills;
We encourage curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship sparkling everywhere.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and your experience
- A scientific CV, which includes contact details
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable)
- Contact of 2 references
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an Equal Opportunity employer and committed to hiring and retaining a diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability.
- Applications will be reviewed on-going until the position is filled.
- An assessment committee will review the applications and candidate selection will rely on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities.
- The main criterion for selection will be the existing skills and expertise of the applicant and matching with the qualifications mentioned above.
PhD additional conditions:
- Supervisor at LIST: Dr Emmanuel Defay
- Work location: Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), Belvaux, Luxembourg
- PhD enrolment: University of Luxembourg, Belval, Luxembourg
- Candidates shall be available for starting their position in autumn 2021. Please note the university costs are at the charge of the student.
- Read C1Write C1Speak C1
- Read B2Write B2Speak B2