M-2054 - POST-DOC IN MATERIALS CHEMISTRY AND GAS PHASE PROCESSES
Are you passionate about space resources? So are we!
The European Space Resources Innovation Centre (ESRIC) is a joint initiative of the Luxembourg Space Agency (LSA), the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST). ESRIC aims to become an internationally recognized centre of expertise for scientific, technical, business and economic aspects related to the use of space resources for human and robotic exploration, as well as for a future in-space economy.
You‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join us!
ESRIC is a brand-new initiative with challenging objectives and evolving in a rapidly changing international environment. Being part of this new adventure and contributing to build successful activities with ESRIC’s partners is common to all ESRIC’s positions.
ESRIC is implemented as a department of LIST, with a dedicated governance structure that includes its partners LSA, ESA and LIST. It is conducting activities along four main areas: Research and testing facilities, Business support and incubation, Knowledge management, and Community management.
When it comes to research and testing facilities, ESRIC collaborates closely with the Materials Research and Technology (MRT) department of LIST. The current position will be part of a new ESRIC research unit that is initially embedded in the MRT department to have access to a fully developed research environment.
The primary objective of this new unit is to research, develop and improve the understanding and performance of processes enabling the utilization of space resources with a primary focus on the Moon. Lunar regolith as well as the ice from permanently shadowed regions are abundant sources of hydrogen, oxygen and metals that need to be smartly treated taking into account advanced processing technologies.
How will you contribute?
We are looking for a highly motivated young researcher who will focus on materials chemistry and powder engineering applied to space resources. He/she will drive innovative dry processes using gas phase technologies for space resource refining. The priority will be given to the development of reductive processes of regolith-like powders. His/her missions will be:
- Define and implement laboratory testing of regolith simulants under strong process conditions in order to promote reduction processes
- Actively contribute to the development of specific prototypes and gas-solid reactions for efficient water vapour and/or oxygen extraction from very fine simulants
- Identify knowledge gaps and critical technologies for this specific area and support the technological cooperation between ESRIC and MRT research teams
Is your profile described below? You think you are our future colleague? Apply now!
- PhD in a field related to materials chemistry;
- Between 2 and not more than 10 years of professional experience after PhD, linked to gas phase technology and/or powder engineering;
- Experience in reduction processes of metal-oxides in dry processes is an asset;
- Strong competences in prototype development/optimisation especially for scaling-up disruptive technologies;
- Strong analysis skills and knowledge in Design of Experiments is an asset;
- Experience in system engineering and interdisciplinary research & development;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Entrepreneurial spirit, flexible and able to adapt;
- Strong interest for space applications and terrestrial benefits;
- Team player, rigorous, autonomous, excellent organizational and collaborative skills, results-oriented
- Excellent command of English is a must, good knowledge of French is an asset, additional competencies in German, Italian or Spanish will be appreciated.
What ESRIC and LIST offer
You will join the new ESRIC research unit that is embedded in the MRT department during a first incubation phase. In a second phase, this unit will move to ESRIC while continuing to collaborate scientifically and technically with the MRT department.
ESRIC has an ambitious development plan over the next years, adding further partners and expanding its activities. The team that you will be joining is expected to grow quickly with the possibility to see ESRIC evolve towards a self-standing entity in a few years.
Has this vacancy caught your interest?
To know more about ESRIC activities: www.esric.lu
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and your experience
- A scientific CV, which includes contact details
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable)
- Contact of 2 references
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an Equal Opportunity employer and committed to hiring and retaining a diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability.
- Applications will be reviewed on-going until the position is filled.
- An assessment committee will review the applications and candidate selection will rely on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities.
- The main criterion for selection will be the existing skills and expertise of the applicant and matching with the qualifications mentioned above.
- Read C1Write C1Speak C1
- Read C1Write C1Speak C1