II-2104 – INTERNSHIP IN MACHINE LEARNING FOR PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as an intern? Join our IT for Innovation Services department
The IT for Innovative Services (ITIS) department, with its 100 researchers and engineers, focuses on the digital transformation of operations in organizations with traditional environments and digital ecosystems, with the aim of improving their performance and innovation capacity. The common thread throughout ITIS is to develop the most efficient use of big data to ensure the most appropriate decision-making processes.
The department relies on the Data Analytics Platform: a hybrid infrastructure covering the entire range of data analytics activities. The platform is based on three pillars: a high-performance computing (HPC) infrastructure, a cognitive analytics pillar and an interactive visualization wall (Viswall).
How will you contribute?
The project aims at improving the performance of some existing optimization algorithms, implemented in C++, through various strategies:
You will be mainly in charge of:
- Improving the coding / modularity of the algorithms
- Evaluating which part of the code could benefit from parallel implementation
- Finding the optimal values for the parameters of the solution algorithms (Hyper-parameters optimization).
For the latter point, machine learning and / or artificial intelligence models will serve as a way to link input data and resulting performance of the algorithms.
As an intern of the Business Analytics group, you will work closely with a team of researchers and domain experts on ongoing funded projects in the digital transformation area.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You have a master in Computer Science combined to a good understanding of machine learning algorithms and/or statistical concepts, ideally with to a strong interest in data science, exploring the state of the art and experimenting in different setups and/or with various frameworks. In addition, you have a good knowledge of C++ and of Python / R.
On top of this, you’re highly motivated, with strong team player skills. You’re fluent in English. You’re the one we are looking for !
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave for a full time internship, 11 public holidays per annum, flexible working hours,
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include a motivation letter oriented towards the position and your experience
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an Equal Opportunity employer and committed to hiring and retaining a diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability.
- Applications will be reviewed on-going until the position is filled.
- An assessment committee will review the applications and candidate selection will rely on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities.
- The main criterion for selection will be the existing skills and expertise of the applicant and matching with the qualifications mentioned above.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced