E-2146 - UNIT MANAGER – SUSTAINABLE ENERGY SYSTEMS
Are you passionate about research? Come and join us!
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
To this end, the mission of the ERIN department is:
(1) To conduct impact-driven scientific research and development, as well as technological innovation
(2) To support companies in the implementation of new environmental regulations and advise governments on determining sustainable policies for the future, with the objectives of:
• Analysing, managing and exploiting sustainable resources (water, air, soil, renewable energy, bioresources)
• Reducing the environmental impact of human consumption and production activities.
How will you contribute?
The selected candidate will lead the newly created “Energy” Unit.
The Unit Manager is responsible for the overall strategy definition and implementation, management, coordination and performance of the RDI activities of the Unit in line with the overall departmental strategy.
She/he will have to define the Unit’s multi-year strategic roadmap and ensure its effective implementation within the Unit.
The Unit Manager reports directly to the Director of the ERIN Department and works in close collaboration with her/his team of Group Leaders to further develop the Unit, and strengthen the impact of its research outcomes on society.
The Unit Manager shall create and maintain a harmonious work environment, fostering a constant generation of ideas and innovative research avenues geared towards finding solutions to complex and pressing environmental issues. She/he will ensure good collaboration with her/his managers and foster teamwork amongst employees and managers, as well as find relevant synergies with other research groups/partners including industrial ones. She/he shall also ensure that resources and skills are well distributed within the teams and that teams are well guided and work together to the highest possible standards.
Strategy definition and implementation
• Define and propose in collaboration with the teams, an RDI strategy for the Unit, aligned with the department’s strategy and with LIST’s missions as an RTO.
• Translate the approved strategy through the drafting and implementation of:
o a short, mid and long-term business plan for the Unit
o an ambitious multi-year research programme and an appropriate funding plan
o a valorization strategy of scientific knowledge and technologies geared towards the industrial and/or public sector.
• Ensure the implementation of the work plan at all levels of the Unit.
• Develop and maintain a pipeline of innovative products and services, transferable to the private and public sectors.
• Represent the RDI Unit externally in line with the Department’s communication strategy.
• Develop relevant external collaborations, partnerships and networks.
• Lead and stimulate a team of experienced managers; work with them to create a stimulating and motivating work environment within the Unit.
• Be hierarchically responsible for the Unit and assume the operational responsibility of the Unit’s human resources (support managers, set challenging objectives together, advise managers within the Unit in their career development, be a decisive actor in the Unit’s salary review process, etc…).
• Appraise Group Leaders, promote personal development amongst teams. Ensure that personal development plans are effectively implemented within the individual teams.
• Work closely with Group Leaders, involve them and rely on them to meet the Unit’s challenges.
• Be an inspirational leader by living up to the highest standards in research and research valorization, and people and resources management.
• Initiate collaborations with other research streams; in this context, identify and develop the relevant synergies.
• Ensure the financial follow-up of the Unit’s performances.
• Make sure that portfolios of associated projects and activities related to the Unit are properly managed.
• Propose and implement Capex investments.
• Be responsible for the overall scientific and technological outcome of the Unit.
• Represent the Unit, promote its staff and sponsor their achievements internally and externally.
Besides these priority responsibilities and missions, the Unit Manager may continue to build her/his scientific and technological knowledge and directly contribute to projects relying on his/her high level of expertise.
Is Your profile described below? You think you are our future colleague? Apply now!
• Hold a PhD degree in a sustainable energy related discipline.
• Have a strong scientific track record and research brand in her/his field of expertise.
• Have a solid and proven understanding of both the industrial and academic domains, have strong experience in building relationships with private partners aligned with institutional interests. Previous experience in an RTO is an asset.
• Have at least 10 years of relevant professional experience in environmental research and innovation, within an academic or industrial RDI environment.
• Have strong team management experience, especially in an RDI environment.
• Have proven experience in the acquisition and management of collaborative projects with industry and competitive international projects.
• Demonstrate proven experience as a Principal Investigator in the acquisition and implementation of multi-year RDI and product development projects.
• Demonstrate strong experience in developing innovative products, tools and services and bringing new technological solutions, processes or software tools to the market.
• Have a proven high-level scientific and technological track record related to one of the three research groups of the Unit she/he leads.
• Possess a sound experience in valorizing scientific and technological results (contract research, patents, licences).
• Have an excellent command of English and good knowledge of at least one of the official languages of the country (French, German or Luxembourgish)
Your LIST experience will be
Passion for impact organisation with strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe working on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design notably thanks to our task force empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs with more than 5,000 square meters, including innovations such as our Viswall, high scale incubators or even top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and International work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people in fulfilling their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender friendly environment where multiple actions are made to attract, develop and retain women in Science;
32 days of paid-holiday, 11 public-holiday, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, state health insurance and lunch vouchers;
Personalised learning program to foster our people’s soft and technical skills;
We encourage curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship sparkling everywhere.
Your application must include:
• A motivation letter oriented towards the position and your experience
• A scientific CV, which includes contact details
• List of publications, invited talks, patents, PHD supervision and granted projects
• Contact of 2 references
Application procedure and conditions:
• LIST is an Equal Opportunity employer and committed to hiring and retaining a diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability.
• Applications will be reviewed on-going until the position is filled.
• An assessment committee will review the applications and candidate selection will rely on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities.
• The main criterion for selection will be the existing skills and expertise of the applicant and matching with the qualifications mentioned above.
- Read C1Write C1Speak C1
- Read B2Write B2Speak B2
- Read B2Write B2Speak B2
- Read B2Write B2Speak B2