II-2105 – INTERNSHIP IN QUANTUM AI/ML
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as an intern? Join our IT for Innovation Services department
The IT for Innovative Services (ITIS) department, with its 100 researchers and engineers, focuses on the digital transformation of operations in organizations with traditional environments and digital ecosystems, with the aim of improving their performance and innovation capacity. The common thread throughout ITIS is to develop the most efficient use of big data to ensure the most appropriate decision-making processes.
The department relies on the Data Analytics Platform: a hybrid infrastructure covering the entire range of data analytics activities. The platform is based on three pillars: a high-performance computing (HPC) infrastructure, a cognitive analytics pillar and an interactive visualization wall (Viswall).
This work planned for this internship will focus on the Quantum computing paradigm for AI/ML. The speedup from quantum computing can potentially solve problems in the data and machine learning domain, which have previously been nearly impossible. This opportunity is being further democratized by high level quantum computing tools/APIs and computing resources as a service, which many organizations such as IBM, Microsoft etc. are starting to offer.
As an intern, you will work closely with a data scientist from the group to
1. Learn the basics of quantum computing as applied to AI/ML
2. Explore the state of the art, experiment with high level APIs in this area
3. Develop a demonstrator to showcase the application of quantum computing for an ML problem
This internship position is an opportunity to acquire significant knowledge in the area of quantum computing, learn abouts application and implications to AI/ML and experiment with state of the art QC resources.
- Good knowledge of Python
- Good knowledge of Machine learning and data analytics
- Familiarity with TensorFlow or PyTorch
- Good overall understanding of statistical concepts, machine learning algorithms, optimization techniques and data visualization techniques
- Good English command
Your LIST experience will be
Passion for impact organisation with strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe working on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design notably thanks to our task force empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional Labs with more than 5,000 square meters, including innovations such as our Viswall, high scale incubators or even top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do.
Multicultural and International work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people in fulfilling their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender friendly environment where multiple actions are made to attract, develop and retain women in Science;
32 days of holiday per annum for a full-time internship, 11 public-holiday per annum, flexible working hours ;
We encourage curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship sparkling everywhere.
Your application must include a motivation letter oriented towards the position and your experience
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an Equal Opportunity employer and committed to hiring and retaining a diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability.
- Applications will be reviewed on-going until the position is filled.
- An assessment committee will review the applications and candidate selection will rely on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities.
- The main criterion for selection will be the existing skills and expertise of the applicant and matching with the qualifications mentioned above.
- Read C1Write C1Speak C1