M-1907 HEAD OF UNIT NANOTECHNOLOGY
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You’d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms; focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is seeking to appoint a Head of Unit for its Nanotechnology RDI (Research Development and Innovation) Unit. The research in this unit is crucial in enabling novel electronic and energy products with improved properties addressing for example digitalization and energy challenges of various economic sectors.
The Nanotechnology unit is part of the Materials Research and Technology (MRT) Department and addresses a pioneered research of functional nanostructures to demonstrate specific and enhanced properties of functional devices through both experimental and numerical approaches. The unit leads competitive projects, industry-funded projects and European projects and presently comprises about 50 researchers, engineers and PhD students, organized into three research groups, which focus on the following domains:
- Ferroic Materials for Transducers
- Transparent, Conductive and Optically tuneable Electronic Materials
- Nano-scaled materials engineering for devices and bio-interfaces
How will you contribute?
A large part of Luxembourg’s manufacturing industry is closely tied to innovations in materials research. Several Luxembourgish companies have extensive R&D operations, in domains ranging from automotive to aerospace, metallurgy, electronics and processing. As a consequence, the materials and processes sector is regarded as one of the main drivers of competitiveness and diversification in Luxembourg.
As Head of Unit, you are responsible for the overall management, coordination and performance of the RDI activities of the unit. You report to the Department Director and manage the RDI group leaders. You will steer the development of an internationally recognized Research, Development & Innovation (RDI) programme in the field of composite materials. You are expected to:
- Propose an RDI strategy for the unit, aligned with the overall mission and global strategy of MRT
- Translate the approved strategy into the drafting of:
- a short, mid and long-term roadmap for the unit
- a competitive multi annual research programme and appropriate funding plan
- a valorization strategy of scientific knowledge and technologies for the industrial sector
- Implement the validated RDI unit business plan
- Define and propose relevant KPIs to monitor the performance of the groups within the RDI unit
- Ensure high-level people management of the RDI unit and direct management of the group leaders
- Propose Capex investments and implement the validated Capex
- Provide structural reports to the Department Director
- Manage the HR aspects of the unit, support and execute HR corporate policies
- Coordinate RDI activities, promote interdisciplinary collaboration within the research unit, with other units and other departments at LIST, as well as with Luxembourgish stakeholders.
- Represent and promote the RDI unit externally in line with the Department’s communication strategy
- Be accountable for the administrative and financial follow-up of the RDI projects of the unit
- Continue to build your scientific and technological expertise
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- You hold a PhD degree in Physics, Materials Science or a related field like Electronic/Electrical Engineering Science, combined to a relevant experience in the following areas:
- A sound and proven knowledge and comprehension of both the industrial and academic world of nanotechnology process, materials and applications
- An extensive experience in building relationships with industries with a proven talent to advocate institutional interests
- At least 15 years of relevant professional experience in team leadership and project management within a competitive academic or industrial RDI environment
- A proven success in multiannual RDI projects and experience as a Principal Investigator of projects
- A proven experience in terms of cooperation with the industrial sector
- Solid experience in developing innovative research, technology and solutions
- A sound experience in generating intellectual property and valorising scientific and technological results (contract research, patents, licences)
- A high-level scientific and technological track record related to nanotechnology
- A significant experience in managing, developing and mentoring researchers
- Strong communication skills and recognized management team spirit
- Excellent command of English
- Ideally good knowledge of at least one of the official languages of the country (French, German or Luxembourgish)
Your LIST experience will be
Passion for impact organization with strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe working on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design notably thanks to our task force empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional Labs with more than 5,000 square meters, including innovations such as our Viswall, high scale incubators or even top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do.
Multicultural and International work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people in fulfilling their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender friendly environment where multiple actions are made to attract, develop and retain women in Science;
32 days of paid-holiday, 11 public-holiday, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, state health insurance and lunch vouchers;
Personalised learning program to foster our people’s soft and technical skills;
We encourage curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship sparkling everywhere.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an Equal Opportunity employer and committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability.
- Applications will be reviewed on-going until the position is filled.
- An assessment committee will review the applications and candidate selection will rely on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities.
- The main criterion for selection will be the existing skills and expertise of the applicant and matching with the qualifications mentioned above.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced