M-2019 HEAD OF UNIT STRUCTURAL COMPOSITES
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is seeking to appoint a Head of Unit for its Structural Composites RDI (Research Development and Innovation) Unit. The research in this unit is crucial in enabling novel and multi-functional structural products with improved properties addressing for example automotive and aerospace challenges among other economic sectors.
The Structural Composites unit is part of the Materials Research and Technology (MRT) Department and addresses the tailoring and processing of composite materials to achieve specific and enhanced properties through both experimental and numerical approaches. The unit leads competitive projects, industry-funded projects and European projects and presently comprises about 20 researchers, engineers and PhD students, organized into two research groups, which focus on the following domains:
- The design and durability of high-performance and multi-functional composites based on advanced modelling expertise
- Interface engineering towards better performance and durability
A large part of Luxembourg’s manufacturing industry is closely tied to innovations in materials research. Several Luxembourgish companies have extensive R&D operations, in domains ranging from automotive to aerospace, metallurgy, electronics and construction. As a consequence, the materials and processes sector is regarded as one of the main drivers of competitiveness and diversification in Luxembourg.
Together with other MRT activities, the Structural Composites Unit stands in the larger context of the “Composite Initiative in Luxembourg”, which aims to federate, extend, consolidate and integrate the competencies existing in Luxembourg’s composite sector, which is composed of both large industrial companies and SMEs. Within this initiative, MRT operates the National Composite Platform, which combines composite manufacturing expertise and infrastructure.
How will you contribute?
As Head of Unit, you will be responsible for the overall management, coordination and performance of the RDI activities of the unit. You report to the Department Director and manage the RDI group leaders. You will steer the development of an internationally recognized Research, Development & Innovation (RDI) programme in the field of composite materials. You are expected to:
- Propose an RDI strategy for the unit, aligned with the overall mission and global strategy of MRT
- Translate the approved strategy into the drafting of:
-a short, mid and long-term roadmap for the unit
-a competitive multi annual research programme and appropriate funding plan
-a valorisation strategy of scientific knowledge and technologies for the industrial sector
- Implement the validated RDI unit business plan
- Define and propose relevant KPIs to monitor the performance of the groups within the RDI unit
- Ensure high-level people management of the RDI unit and direct management of the group leaders
- Propose Capex investments and implement the validated Capex
- Provide structural reports to the Department Director
- Manage the HR aspects of the unit, support and execute HR corporate policies
- Coordinate RDI activities, promote interdisciplinary collaboration within the research unit, with other units and other departments at LIST, as well as with Luxembourgish stakeholders.
- Represent and promote the RDI unit externally in line with the Department’s communication strategy
- Be accountable for the administrative and financial follow-up of the RDI projects of the unit
- Continue to build your scientific and technological expertise
The research areas to be considered for the positions include, but are not limited to:
- Mathematical and numerical modelling of composite materials, structures and technological processes
- Mechanical testing of composites in collaboration with the Testing Platform
- Novel design concepts and advanced manufacturing technologies in collaboration with the Composites Platform
- Chemistry of interface and interphase of fibre-based composite materials
- Smart structures
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a PhD degree in Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science or a related field like Mechanical Engineering Science, combined to a relevant experience in the following areas:
- A sound and proven knowledge and comprehension of both the industrial and academic world of composite materials and extensive experience in building relationships with industries and in the advocacy of institutional interests
- At least 15 years of relevant professional experience in team leadership and project management within a competitive academic or industrial RDI environment
- A proven success in multi annual RDI projects and experience as a Principal Investigator of projects
- A proven experience in terms of cooperation with the industrial sector
- Solid experience in developing innovative research, technology and solutions
- A sound experience in generating intellectual property and valorizing scientific and technological results (contract research, patents, licences)
- High-level scientific and technological track record related to composite materials
- Significant experience in managing, developing and mentoring researchers
- Strong communication skills and recognized management team spirit
- Excellent command of English
- Good knowledge of at least one of the official languages of the country (French, German or Luxembourgish)
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced