IM-2126 - INTERNSHIP IN POLYMER AND COMPOSITE PROCESSING FOR 3D PRINTING
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as an intern? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
The internship position will assist our ongoing investigations on polymer (reactive-)processing (e.g. blending, modification and synthesis) to develop polymer matrixes for 3D printing of advanced composite applications.
This internship will consist in exploring a new aspect of our investigations: the combination of new polymers (such as advanced polyamides or polyethers) in our existing printing process will be evaluated. Besides reactive compatibilization of blends or polymer layers will be run.
Focus will be put on the following tasks:
- Polymer met-blending and reactive modification (in extruders)
- Eventual grinding and sewing of materials into fine powders
- Printing of obtained materials (FDM or SLS processes)
- Characterization of the properties of the resulting materials
- Potentially: ageing resistance characterization of those blends
Functional properties (mechanical, transparency, fire resistance, scratch resistance, UV resistance …) shall be connected to physico-chemical structure using different techniques (GPC, IRTF, DSC, TGA …).
Finally, a selection of potential applications for the best materials should be envisaged.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- Be an undergraduate student (Master 1-2)
- Be fluent in English (spoken and written)
- Have a strong taste for experimental work
- Excellent academic track record
- Ability for both individual work and collaborative teamwork
- Have a background in polymer/composite processing and characterization
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave for a full time internship, 11 public holidays per annum, flexible working hours,
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include a motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
Application procedure and conditions
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced