I-2120 - DIRECTOR - ITIS DEPARTMENT
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our IT for Innovation Services department
The IT for Innovative Services (ITIS) department, with its 100 researchers and engineers, focuses on the digital transformation of operations in organizations with traditional environments and digital ecosystems, with the aim of improving their performance and innovation capacity. The common thread throughout ITIS is to develop the most efficient use of big data to ensure the most appropriate decision-making processes.
While leading the transformation and strategic re-alignment of the ITIS department to align with the overall LIST strategy, you will provide leadership and vision for the department as part of the leadership team and in close cooperation with the LIST CEO.
You will manage the ITIS department through its people, ensuring the recruitment, management and development of scientific, engineering and business staff. In particular, you will foster interdisciplinary approaches across the department, empower people via the delegation of tasks and offer opportunities for acquiring new skills and expertise.
You will be an advocate and ambassador for the LIST vision, mission and values. You will represent the ITIS department at the highest levels with the Luxembourgish Government and agencies, industry, within the EU and more generally internationally. You will actively contribute to interdisciplinary activities together with other LIST departments, as well as effectively liaise with the Luxembourg National Research Fund (FNR), the University of Luxembourg and other Luxembourg research institutes.
You will contribute to producing and delivering reports that may be required by the LIST Board of Directors and the Luxembourgish Government, including annual reports and performance contracts, as well as the setting up of strategic advisory boards.
How will you contribute?
You will provide scientific, academic and commercial leadership, as well as a vision for the ITIS department and more broadly for LIST. You will drive the continuous creation of economic value and impact from excellent research outputs, through the development of national and international collaborations and partnerships.
These will include but not be limited to:
- Providing scientific, visionary and academic leadership and a vision for the ITIS department;
- Ensuring scientific excellence while remaining at the forefront of innovative and qualitative research and engineering with a high potential for commercialization;
- Driving the continuous creation of economic value and impact from excellent research outputs;
- Driving the exploitation of ITIS technology for the benefit of the Luxembourgish economy;
- Developing and enhancing existing supports for Luxembourgish and international industry partners;
- Taking responsibility for all aspects of ITIS operations and management, including:
- the delivery of the agreed technical strategy, objectives, metrics and accomplishments;
- ensuring that the department operates on a sound financial basis;
- ensuring that facilities are adequate to deliver the strategic objectives;
- ensuring the recruitment, management and development of staff and PhD students;
- ensuring that future business prospects are developed to help deliver the agreed strategic objectives; and
- ensuring that the ITIS department’s accomplishments are effectively and efficiently communicated.
- Ensuring that the ITIS department is adequately funded to deliver its strategic objectives and meet or exceed its key performance indicators (KPIs);
- Working with the senior management team to deliver and implement the strategic plan for the ITIS department;
- Working with the Luxembourgish Government ministries and agencies on the development of policies in research, development and innovation, and ensuring that ITIS’s strategy is aligned with these policies;
- Working with all LIST stakeholders (LIST senior management, LIST staff, the LIST Board of Directors, the University of Luxembourg, in particular the Interdisciplinary Centre for Security, Reliability and Trust (SnT), the Luxembourgish Government and relevant agencies, and other third-level institutions and industry) to determine the mission and vision for the ITIS department;
- Effectively liaising with the FNR, University of Luxembourg, LISER, LIH and other third-level institutions as required;
- Increasing and improving the international profile of LIST by means of new partnerships and collaborations.
- Specialization in a relevant sub-domain of data and computer science, including artificial intelligence and advanced data analytics. International standing and reputation in your own research/technology field. A deep understanding for strategic and applied research in the fields of (i) data analytics/artificial intelligence, (ii) visualization, (iii) optimization, (iv) communication and distributed systems, (v) software engineering, and (iv) novel computing architectures;
- Strong track record of achievement in research and/or commercial accomplishment in a field relevant to LIST;
- Extensive experience of driving successful research and technology development (RTD) at a high level in either industry or academia, or preferably both; experience in strategic engagement at the industry-academic interface;
- Experience in new business creation and/or development (spin-out, spin-in, start-up, etc.);
- Demonstrable success in raising significant research funding from a variety of local, European and international sources, as well as funding from industry partners;
- Knowledge of the European research funding landscape and related mechanisms;
- Leadership of an organization with 100+ researchers to guide the further development of the LIST in general and the ITIS department specifically;
- Experience in working with government and related agencies at a senior level on the development of research strategy and policy;
- Extensive general management experience;
- Strong experience in the development of successful organizational strategy and lead organizational change;
- Excellent communication, influencing and leadership skills suited to a complex organization;
- Experience in media relations;
- Experience in the management of an IP portfolio;
- Good understanding of the ongoing needs of an enterprise;
- Knowledge and understanding of the Luxembourgish RTD environment and landscape, and how it relates to that in Europe.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- More than 15 years’ experience of academic and industrial research. PhD in a relevant discipline together with appropriate professional awards/fellowships;
- A multidisciplinary outlook which draws on the core disciplines of mathematics, statistics, computer science;
- Demonstrable evidence of successful and entrepreneurial leadership;
- Experience of successfully generating funding for research from both government and industry;
- A sound and proven knowledge and comprehension of both the industrial market and academic sector in Luxembourg and the Greater Region;
- In-depth knowledge of the Luxembourg research agenda and ecosystem;
- Proven ability to lead, develop and motivate a multidisciplinary team engaged in both fundamental research and its commercial exploitation, including knowledge of how to manage and exploit IP;
- Ability to engage, inspire, guide, and understand the ways in which academic and industrial researchers work;
- An understanding of current academic and commercial research in data science.
Leadership and management competencies
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a flair for spotting, creating and seizing opportunities for developments that are transformative and/or make a rapid impact, and having the ability to realize them through workable solutions;
- Decisiveness and a results-driven orientation, allied with an ability to inspire and motivate research teams, encouraging participation, responsibility and accountability;
- The ability to motivate and the sensitivity to establish good working relationships with staff at all levels;
- The gravitas to represent and promote the aims of the department internally and externally to the academic community, industry, national and international funding bodies, government and other relevant organizations.
- Well-developed leadership, interpersonal and influencing skills and the ability to build up and maintain effective working relationships both across the organization and with relevant stakeholders from academia, industry, funding bodies and the government;
- Leading by example, displaying a high level of personal integrity and a commitment to the promotion of ethical values in general and of data protection/privacy specifically;
- The ability to make decisions independently with a pragmatic mindset;
- An intense passion to develop research projects with impact;
- An energetic and charismatic leadership that inspires and influences;
- The ability to create and execute an innovative strategy with proven results;
- A high level of self-motivation.
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read C2 ProficiencyWrite C2 ProficiencySpeak C2 Proficiency