E-2151 - MOLECULAR MICROBIOLOGIST IN ENVIRONMENTAL APPLICATIONS OF ANTIMICROBIAL TREATMENTS
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher?
Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
The department relies on two cutting-edge platforms, the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform and the Observatory for the Climate and the Environment, and the GreenTech Innovation Centre (GTIC): a one-stop-shop for the complete development of bio-based products and processes.
The selected candidate will more specifically join the Environmental Microbiology and Biotechnology research group. The team’s main RDI activities relate to microbial risk assessment and management in environment. To strengthen its activities in environmental microbiology and biotechnology, LIST is offering a principal investigator position for an experienced molecular microbiologist with expertise in the development of antimicrobial (antibacterial and antiviral) solutions for the environment.
How will you contribute?
The successful candidate will be in charge of developing and leading projects aiming the development of innovative green antimicrobial compounds or decontamination technologies aiming a microbiologically safe environment for Humans and animals in a One-Health perspectives. The range of solutions goes from biobased compounds to probiotics or phages.
In on hand, you will contribute to the development and validation of antimicrobial solutions in collaborative projects involving private partners. On the other hand, using competitive national or European funding, you will deepen the understanding of the mode of actions of the antimicrobial compounds intended for environmental applications.
You will be in charge of:
• Attracting budgets from national and European funding agencies, to carry out low TRL research aiming the understanding of molecular mechanisms leading to decontamination.
• Design and perform laboratory experiments to understand the mode of action of antimicrobial agents (biobased compounds, materials, …) to successfully replace classical antimicrobials (heavy metals, antibiotics).
• Planning and conducting complex research projects, such as microbiome profiling of different environments including built environment.
• Contributing to the development of support to national or international companies which develop or implement technological solutions (proof-of-concepts, prototypes) in high TRL projects aiming pre-industrialisation.
• Developing research partnerships and networks at national and international level, making LIST visible in the “antimicrobials” field.
• Disseminating and publishing the results in top ranked scientific journals.
• Supervising the work of engineer and researchers working on collaborative projects with private partners.
• Staying connected with regulatory bodies and monitor and predict new emerging pathogens.
• Participating in the drafting of technical reports, scientific articles, patents and inventions.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a PhD in Microbiology with a specialization in molecular biology with at least 8 years of relevant experience. You also have:
• Expertise in the molecular mechanisms of decontamination processes (working with chemical or biobased compounds and/or with materials with physical interactions with microbial development).
• Expertise in pathogen-microbiome interactions; abilities to apply an “omics” approach to gain a holistic understanding of decontamination processes in real environment in order to develop treatment strategies.
• Experience in conducting projects with private partners in a pre-industrialisation context.
• Experience in budget attraction and project management.
• Experience and expertise in viral (phages), bacteriocin identification or fungal biology in addition to bacteriology is an asset.
• Expertise in the molecular interactions occurring between microbes and antigenic molecules is also considered as an asset.
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
• A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
• A scientific CV with contact details;
• List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
• Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions
• LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
• Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
• An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
• The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read C2 ProficiencyWrite C2 ProficiencySpeak C2 Proficiency
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced