M-2115 - PhD STUDENT IN THE FIELD OF NANO-STRUCTURED PIEZOELECTRIC THIN FILMS BASED ON BINARY OXIDES
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a PhD student? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
HfO2-based thin films changed the way we think about ferroelectrics. This silicon-compatible and environmentally friendly material pushed the limits of ferroelectricity down to a few nanometers and revived the technology of ferroelectric memories and field-effect transistors. Nonetheless, its march towards the status of ideal ferroelectric and piezoelectric is encumbered by several hurdles, including non-robust stability of polar phases and weak piezoelectric response.
In this PhD project, you will use Chemical Solution Deposition method to grow nano-structured piezoelectric thin films based on binary oxides, which should be able to address hafnia’s shortcomings. You will synthesise the films, perform structural and functional characterization and test them as resonators for GHz-range applications.
You will have a chance to work with the world-renowned experts in the framework of an international project between LIST (ab-initio simulations, chemical growth of the films, resonators) and University of Groningen (physical growth of the films, TEM analysis, in-situ XRD characterization).
The work will consist of the following topics:
- chemical synthesis of precursor solutions and deposition via spin coating,
- structural characterization (XRD, SEM, etc.),
- electromechanical characterization (piezoelectric and ferroelectric properties),
- fabrication and characterization of acoustic resonators.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a master's degree in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or similar.
If you posses a combination of a chemistry background and interdisciplinary skills it will be a strong asset.
Previous hands on experience with processing and/or characterization of nanomaterials is desirable.
On top of that, you should have collaborative skills, be a team player and be fluent in spoken and written English.
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- Contact details of 2 references.
- Full academic record of MSc and BSc (school/programme, courses taken, grades...)
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
PhD additional conditions:
- Contacts at LIST:
-Dr Jorge Iniguez (Jorge.email@example.com) https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=hsLqX2UAAAAJ&hl=es
-Dr Sebastjan Glinsek (firstname.lastname@example.org) https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=es&user=LdaPDgMAAAAJ
- Work location: Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), Belvaux, Luxembourg
- PhD enrolment: University of Luxembourg, Belval, Luxembourg
Candidates shall be available for starting their position in January 2022. Please note the universities costs are at the charge of the student.
- Read B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate