E-2158 – TECHNICIAN IN MOLECULAR PLANT BIOLOGY
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as research support contributor? Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
The department relies on two cutting-edge platforms, the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform and the Observatory for the Climate and the Environment, and the GreenTech Innovation Centre (GTIC): a one-stop-shop for the complete development of bio-based products and processes.
How will you contribute?
You are expected to perform standard laboratory procedures such as preparing liquid and solid media for bacterial/yeast/plant cell cultures, to help in maintaining plants in vitro, plant cell cultures and calli with the use of sterile techniques, prepare hydrophilic/lipophilic plant extracts, perform routine biochemistry assays, extract proteins, perform DNA and RNA extraction for gene expression analysis via qPCR, constructs’ preparation for bacterial/yeast/plant transformation via cloning.
You are expected to contribute to tasks related to plant bioprocesses (preparation and follow up of stirred/wave tank bioreactors of different volumes, post-batch cleaning and biomass handling, namely harvesting, lyophilisation, extraction, spectrophotometric assays), lab organizational matters such as ordering supplies, overseeing equipment, or training end-users.
Some of technical day-to-day activities:
• Prepare media for bacterial, yeast and plant cultures
• Contribute to tasks related to bioprocess engineering
• Perform gene expression analysis
• Perform extraction (proteins, as well as bioactive compounds from plant cells/tissues)
• Carry out biochemical analyses (spectrophotometric assays)
• Ensure the quality of the delivered results
• Provide analysis/measurement reports
• Propose improvements
• Respect security/hygiene protocols
Assurance of proper functioning and maintenance of equipment /laboratories/computers thanks to the tasks below:
• Implement, calibrate and ensure the good functional order of the equipment base
• Make sure that all the required material and supplies for the lab activities are available on time
• Participate in ensuring security and waste management in the laboratories and good laboratory practice
• Handle the basic machine/equipment/software maintenance and fix related problems
• Report any problem related to machines, ask for the intervention of an internal/external expert technician when required
Constant on the job trainings:
• Learn, master and apply the processes/protocols related to the instruments/equipment used
• Keep abreast of update and best practices
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You have a bachelor’s degree in biology with a specialization in molecular biology, bioprocess engineering or related discipline.
You also have:
• Experience in bacterial, yeast and plant culture
• Experience in plant tissue culture
• Skills in writing technical reports
• Proficiency in running qPCR
• Proficiency in preparing constructs for bacterial/plant transformation and perform cloning
• Experience in bioprocess engineering is a strong asset
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include a motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience.
Application procedure and conditions
• LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
• Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
• An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
• The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced
- Read B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate