M-22101 - PhD POSITION IN VARIABLE STIFFNESS COMPOSITE SHELL STRUCTURES HIERARCHICAL MODELLING
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a PhD Student? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
Development of multi-layer variable stiffness composite (VSC) shells structural models for stiffness and failure prediction accounting for process-induced singularities and defects.
In particular, the developed models will be able to account for anisotropy (and the influence of process-induced singularities and defects) as a space field and will be used for the optimal design of a demonstrative VSC shell structure.
The methodology towards this goal consists in a unified formulation toward the development of geometrically non-linear (large displacements and rotations in a Green-Lagrange sense) higher-order layer-wise hierarchical models for VSC plate and shell structures to be also extended into a two-stage global-local modelling and optimization strategy.
Envisaged outcomes are: the formulation of higher-order three-dimensional VSC shell models; building a comprehensive knowledge on VSCs, structural modelling, software implementation; mastering scientific writing and oral presentation; scientific dissemination in the form of journal articles and conference talks; development of a scientific mind-set based on rigor and curiosity.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a Master’s degree in aerospace engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computational Mechanics or Applied Mathematics.
You also have:
- A good degree of independence
- Motivation and a critical approach
- A good team player attitude
On top of this, you are able to program in C++ and/or Fortran, you are fluent in English (both written and spoken). You’re the one we’re looking for!
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
PhD additional conditions:
- Supervisor at LIST: Dr. Gaetano Giunta (email@example.com)
- Co-supervision at LIST: Dr. Yao Koutsawa
- Work location: Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), Hautcharage, Luxembourg
- PhD enrolment: University of Luxembourg, Belval, Luxembourg
Candidates shall be available for starting their position from March 2022. Please note the universities costs are at the charge of the student.
- Read B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate