I-2123 – RESEARCHER SPECIALISED IN OPTIMISATION & PROCESS AUTOMATION IN DYNAMIC DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a Researcher? Join our IT for Innovation Services department
The IT for Innovative Services (ITIS) department, with its 100 researchers and engineers, focuses on the digital transformation of operations in organizations with traditional environments and digital ecosystems, with the aim of improving their performance and innovation capacity. The common thread throughout ITIS is to develop the most efficient use of big data to ensure the most appropriate decision-making processes.
The department relies on the Data Analytics Platform: a hybrid infrastructure covering the entire range of data analytics activities. The platform is based on three pillars: a high-performance computing (HPC) infrastructure, a cognitive analytics pillar and an interactive visualization wall (Viswall).
The TSS unit is a multidisciplinary team performing applied research in the field of Trustworthy Service Systems (e.g. in Mobility logistics and supply chain management, Telecommunication, as well as in Fintech and Industry 4.0) from the perspectives of big data, optimization, and IT security.
The successful applicant will take the role of a Researcher in the Optimisation & Process Automation in the context of Dynamic Distributed Systems within ORISON group of TSS, which counts highly motivated researchers. The group is active research, development and innovation projects in the field of Optimisation and Machine Learning applied to the domains of Distributed (and Dynamic) Systems connected Supply Chains, Mobility and Industry business sectors.
How will you contribute?
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is looking for a Talented Researcher specialized in Optimisation & Process Automation in the context of Dynamic Distributed Systems. The successful candidate’s main challenges will be to strengthen a work environment conducive to a constant bubbling of ideas that will allow developing innovative solutions to societal and industrial problems. He/she will be participating in fostering a positive work environment, enhancing good collaboration and teamwork, and for finding relevant synergies with other research groups at LIST and external partners at the national and international levels.
The selected candidate will have to further develop and lead some research project in the topic of Optimisation and Process Automation applied to Dynamic (real-time) Systems (like autonomous vehicles) in order that the ORISON becomes a nationally renowned and internationally visible research group, reaching a critical size and impact within 3/4 years.
To this aim, and depending on her/his previous experience, the Talented Researcher will leverage different funding schemes at national and EU levels. Therefore, the successful candidate will have to write and submit research proposals for national and international competitive funding and has to manage some of these projects as the primary investigator. To that respect, he or she shall demonstrate a proven track record of published papers and project proposals. As part of the RDI activities, results should be disseminated, valorised and transferred as patents, licenses, prototypes, publications, and technical reports and should build the foundation for future projects.
Successful candidates will develop research projects that will allow Optimisation and Decision Systems meet future challenges such as those emerging from Big Data Analytics, Cyber-physical systems, Industry 4.0, Digital Twins, Auto-mobility and Smart environments.
Examples of related topics of interest for the ORISON group of TSS are:
- Robust and efficient algorithms for large scale stochastic optimization problems, including approaches based on hyper heuristics.
- Integrated optimization machine learning frameworks for large scale problems, big data and related analytics, in particular with respect to industrial and/or value chain problems.
- Adaptive responses and decision making processes under uncertainty through machine learning techniques such as reinforcement learning.
- Distributed Simulation in Operational Research.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- PhD in areas including: Computer science & machine learning, operations research, industrial engineering, control and automation, electrical engineering, or a related discipline
- Outstanding PhD thesis and well ranked publications in the research domain.
- Entrepreneurship mindset.
- Excellent programming skills (Python/R/Matlab/C/C++/Java).
- Strong background in at least one of the following areas: machine learning, stochastic optimization, development of algorithms for large scale optimization, artificial intelligence, or big data and analytics.
- Experience in the writing of research projects proposals.
- Able to set-up new academic and industrial collaborations.
- Demonstrate a strong experience in developing innovative technologies and services and bringing to the market.
- Challenge and results-oriented mind-set.
- Capacity to generate new ideas, concepts, and solutions.
- Ability to collaborate within an interdisciplinary team.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, presentation).
- Excellent command of English
- Good command of any national language is also an asset
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced