IE-2206 – INTERNSHIP IN SOIL METALS BIOAVAILABILITY ASSESSMENT IN SELECTED LUXEMBOURG URBAN AREAS
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as an intern?Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
The department relies on two cutting-edge platforms, the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform and the Observatory for the Climate and the Environment, and the GreenTech Innovation Centre (GTIC): a one-stop-shop for the complete development of bio-based products and processes.
This MASTER project is part of an existing collaboration between SUSTAIN and ENVISION units of the ERIN department, Trier University (Prof S. Thiele-Bruhn), the Emweltberodung Lëtzebuerg, and the Environment Agency of Luxembourg. The project is initiated and partly (soil analysis) funded by the Environment Agency of Luxembourg and conducted in cooperation with several municipal authorities.
The intern will be part of the CAT group and be supervised by Christophe Hissler (CAT/ENVISION/ERIN/LIST) and Sébastien Cambier (EH/SUSTAIN/ERIN/LIST). The successful candidate will have in charge the extraction of bioaccessible metals in soils collected in Luxembourg communes by using different methodology that were already validated in two past collaborative projects in 2020 and 2021.
How will you contribute?
The project contains the analysis of top soils taken from urban areas in Luxemburg. The main goals are the assessment of the background concentrations of different environmental pollutants like heavy metals, PAH, PCB, or dioxins/furans and the estimation of the bioaccessibility of three specific trace elements, namely Arsenic, Lead and Cadmium.
The bioaccessible fraction of an element is the amount extracted from the soil matrix with extraction techniques simulating the uptake by the human body. In this study, extracted part corresponds to the solubilized fraction during the chemical and mechanical actions that take place in the gastro-intestinal system of the body.
The Master Candidate will be working at the ERIN department of the Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) and will have to take in charge the following tasks:
- Perform a detailed literature review on As, Cd and Pb speciation and bioaccessibility in the environment
- Conduct two extraction procedures (Unified Barge Method and diluted HCl) as well as the interpretation of the results for urban soils collected in Luxembourg municipalities
- Assess the bioaccessibility for As, Pb and Cd within a risk based land management approach
Complementary analysis of basic pedological parameters, trace element analysis via aqua-regia extraction as well as organic pollutants analysis will be done with the support of public and private laboratories.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You are a master student with knowledge of environmental science, analytical chemistry and ecotoxicology. You have a good level of English and/or French.
You’re the one we’re looking for!
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave for a full time internship, 11 public holidays per annum, flexible working hours,
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include a motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- Desired start date: July 2022
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced