E-2252 TELECOMMUNICATION SCIENTIST SPECIALIZED IN THE INTEGRATION OF 5G AND NON-TERRESTRIAL NETWORKS
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
Within the ERIN department, the ‘Environmental Sensing and Modelling’ (ENVISION) unit contributes to this mission by carrying out impact-driven research, geared towards monitoring, forecasting, and predicting environmental systems in a changing world. An interdisciplinary team of around 50 scientists, engineers, post-docs and PhD candidates is developing new environmental process understanding, alongside new tools and technologies – operating at unprecedented spatial and temporal scales.
Embedded into the ENVISION unit, the ‘Remote sensing and natural resources modelling’ research group capitalizes on a blend of remote sensing data obtained from space- and air-borne platforms, as well as in-situ measured data (collected from heterogeneous IoT devices), for producing information on the status of natural resources for public and private stakeholders.
How will you contribute?
To strengthen its activities in IoT-based remote monitoring, and in the development and application of end-to-end decision support tools for a digitalized agriculture, LIST is offering a temporary position for a Telecommunication scientist specialized in the integration of 5G and non-terrestrial networks.
You will design and develop connectivity solutions, integrating 5G, IoT, and NTN, aiming to extend connectivity in rural and remote areas. The research will be carried out in the framework of the COMMECT project supported by the European Commission through its HORIZON EUROPE program.
You will investigate the deployment of UAVs and IoT sensor networks, and their integration with satellites for agricultural monitoring, data acquisition and field analyses. You will further explore the adoption of Edge computing, with the aim of reducing energy-consumption at connectivity and computing level.
You will work with an international and highly interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers with expertise in communication networks, operational networks (from real Telco and SATCOM operator), artificial intelligence, remote sensing, and data analytics.
More specifically, you will contribute to the COMMECT project by:
• Providing support for the scientific coordination of the project;
• Defining network architectures, and technical requirements for specific use cases, in collaboration with end-users and ICT experts;
• Designing IoT-5G-satellite multi-connectivity solutions, including in-lab performance evaluation considering different satellite constellations, e.g., LEO, GEO;
• Designing and developing Edge solutions for IoT and UAVs;
• Deploying in the Living Lab energy-efficient IoT and UAV networks with terrestrial or satellite backhaul;
• Contributing to software development, integration, testing and deployment;
• Contributing to the development of partnerships and networks at national and international levels;
• Disseminating results in top ranked scientific journals.
Moreover, you will contribute to the dissemination, valorisation and transfer of RDI results through:
• Software licensing;
• Participation in the drafting of technical reports, scientific articles, patents and inventions;
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You have Master/bachelor’s degree and PhD in Telecommunication Engineering, Satellite communications or a closely related field in Electronic, Electrical and Computer Engineering.
You have a minimum of 1-2 years of proven experience after PhD completion of working in industrial projects or EU funded research projects is considered as an asset. Experience in leading Work Packages (WPs) and tasks is highly desirable.
You also have:
• Knowledge and experience with wireless access networks, with a solid understanding of 5G NR and Wi-Fi.
• Knowledge and experience with wireless sensor networks, with a solid understanding of LPWAN technologies (LoRaWAN, NB-IoT, CAT-M).
• Notions of UAVs, and Non-Terrestrial Network (NTN) systems, including LEO, MEO and GEO constellations.
• Notions of edge and cloud computing
• Hands-on experience with operational wireless communication and sensor networks and equipment (modems, IoT devices, Raspberry Pi, gateways, network analyzers) and performance analysis (latency, throughput, packet loss, reliability).
• Good software programming skills (MATLAB, C++, Linux, Python).
• Analytical and experimental skills, including abilities to address complicated problems, splitting the latter into manageable sub-problems, and related problem-solving skills.
• Creative mindset, interest in research and eagerness to develop new solutions.
• Excellent communication skills in presenting scientific research and writing papers in scientific journals and technical reports.
• Communicative and willing to learn, self-organized, and creative.
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in an international team.
You are fluent in English. French or German would be an asset. You are the candidate we are looking for!
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
• A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
• A scientific CV with contact details;
• List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
• Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions
• LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
• Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
• An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
• The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced
- Read B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate
- Read B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate