M-2105 – PHD STUDENT IN POLYMER CATALYSTS ENGINEERING FOR CLEAN HYDROGEN PRODUCTION
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
The MRT department is looking for 8 talented candidates to join the HYMAT Doctoral Training Unit (4-years PhD studentships) supported by the Luxembourg National Research Fund (FNR). HYMAT is a large and multidisciplinary project that focuses on the discovery and development of materials for hydrogen generation and utilization. HYMAT is built around 8 highly complementary research axes, which will address key materials challenges faced in establishing specific technologies that will underpin the hydrogen economy. The 8 PhD students will be supervised by experienced scientists and be granted access to state-of-the-art infrastructure to perform research on a topic at the forefront of societal and scientific discussion.
The PhD student will work in the framework of the HYMAT research axis #5: CVD of Industrial Pigments for the Next Generation of Heterogeneous Catalysts. The PhD student will conduct research in the discovery and engineering of polymer catalysts that act as photo-electrocatalysts for the hydrogen (HER) and oxygen evolution reactions (OER) from solar-assisted water splitting. This project involves the synthesis of conjugated polymers under vacuum conditions and materials characterization. The PhD student will work closely with the other team members of the HYMAT project and hosting group to build up a deep understanding of the chemical structure, microstructure, electronic and functional properties of the synthesized materials. The PhD student, integrated to a very engaged and ambitious research team, is expected to develop these research activities at the highest scientific level.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a Master degree in Materials Science, Chemistry or Chemical Engineering, combined to a pronounced taste for experiments, team work spirit and strong motivation. Additionally, you have proven theoretical and practical skills in electrochemistry or heterogeneous catalysis. A good knowledge in organic chemistry or polymer chemistry is a strong asset for this position. No experience in vacuum or chemical vapor deposition is required.
On top of this, you’re highly motivated and strong team worker. You are fluent in English. You’re the one we’re looking for !
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Please note that by applying you consent to share your application with committee selection members from ”HYMAT”
PhD additional conditions:
• Supervisor at LIST: Dr Nicolas Boscher
• Work location: Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), Belval, Luxembourg
• PhD enrolment: University of Luxembourg, Belval, Luxembourg
Candidates shall be available for starting their position in autumn 2022.
Please note the universities costs are at the charge of the student.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced