M-22119 - PHD STUDENT: RENEWABLE FIBER STRUCTURE & SURFACE ENGINEERING FOR COMPOSITE APPLICATIONS
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You’d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
Natural fibers (e.g. bamboo, hemp, flax, coir), present complex nonlinear tensile behavior at both the technical and elementary fiber level. While their constituents (cellulose, lignin, pectins) are fixed, their properties vary widely due to microstructure and compositional heterogeneity. By better understanding fiber microstructure and the associated mechanisms governing mechanical behavior, the successful candidate will link natural fiber architecture to composite properties, providing a path to enhanced performance and a vision for controlled failure mechanisms through control of material structure. Moreover, an analysis of both fiber architecture and chemical composition will also provide a much more complete understanding of the mechanisms of moisture uptake and thermal decomposition. At the composite level, the modulation of natural fiber composition will be explored as a means of improving transverse mechanical properties.
In addition to scientific support by recognized experts in the field, the candidate will have access to fully equipped labs for advanced micromechanical characterization and fiber composite manufacturing. Their efforts will be aided by state of the art characterization facilities, including relevant spectrometric (FTIR, NMR, XPS, MALDI) and chromatographic (GPC) tools, structural characterization methods (SEM, AFM, microCT), thermal analysis equipment (TGA, DSC, DMA, TMA, etc.), mechanical (quasi-static tensile, flexural, micro pull-out, nano indentation, etc.) and physical testing (contact angle). The candidate will have the opportunity of a secondment in a prestigious European university, as well as participation in international conferences.
Is your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in Composite Science / Engineering, Materials Science / Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or a related field, and wish to carry out impactful, high quality experimental research in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues. You enjoy learning new things, using your creativity to solve problems, and taking advantage of opportunities to build your skills. You’re used to communicating effectively in English, both in writing and orally, and documenting your work (minimum certified B2 level). You are careful, conscientious and well organized in the lab, happy to work with others and motivated to make a difference in what you do.
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square meters, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning program to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- · A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications and / or patents (if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions/
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above;
- Please note that by applying you consent to share your application with selection committee members of the ”SusPoCo” project
PhD additional conditions:
• Supervisor: Dr. Carlos Fuentes (firstname.lastname@example.org), Fiber Composites & Interfaces Group; Visiting Professor, KU Leuven
• Co-supervision: Dr. David Ruch and Dr. Abdelghani Laachachi, Fiber Composites & Interfaces Group
• Work location: Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), Hautcharage, Luxembourg
• PhD enrollment: University of Luxembourg, Belval, Luxembourg
Candidates should be available to start by autumn 2022. Please note that University fees are the responsibility of the student
- Read B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate