M-22136 - SYSTEM ENGINEER – CUBESAT SYSTEM FOR IN-ORBIT DEMONSTRATION OF SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENTS
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment, and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
You will join the Prototype Engineering Platform of MRT in the frame of a project aiming to develop a CubeSat platform for in-orbit demonstration of scientific experiments in Space. Combining mechanical, electrical and electronic engineering, the Prototype Engineering Platform acts “horizontally” in a world of vertically oriented Applied Research disciplines providing the knowledge and the machinery needed to develop innovative materials, devices and tools for characterization.
As part of the team, your work will focus on the CubeSat development integrating the scientific experiments and the necessary validation phases towards the launching. You will report to the Platform Pole Leader.
Your activities will include:
- Managing and participating in the department in-orbit demonstration CubeSat projects in all phases.
- Providing expert technical support and consultancy to LIST projects, programmes, and general studies in system engineering for in-orbit demonstration and CubeSat systems throughout all project phases.
- Participating in feasibility studies, project reviews and evaluations of procurement proposals.
- Contributing to the definition of technology development requirements and work plans.
- Initiating and managing R&D activities covering long- and short-term needs in CubeSat systems for in-orbit demonstration.
- Monitoring applicable scientific and technological trends in CubeSat systems and technologies and maintaining state-of-the-art expertise.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- Master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering or a related major engineering discipline as mechatronics with a first experience (e. g. by internship) on Space Systems or CubeSat launch.
- Experience in Space projects, including a background in spacecraft systems or subsystem design, engineering and AIV aspects.
- Specific knowledge of CubeSat Systems and related miniaturised technologies, technology demonstration projects and industrial experience.
- Hands-on hardware experience.
- Knowledge in CAD for payload integration and mechanical issues resolving.
- Good knowledge in EDA (Eagle, KiCAD, or equivalent).
- Good knowledge in analogical electronics and signal treatment, numerical protocols (I2C, SPI), hardware microcontroller/microcomputer programming (e. g. Arduino, Raspberry).
- Knowledge related to Space communication (between ground stations and missions).
- Understanding of related technologies.
- Understanding of Space environment constraints for hardware, including requirements to standards (ECSS / NASA Technical Standards)
- Knowledge related to certification documentation for CubeSat launch.
- Some experience in relevant risk reduction measures for Space mission.
- Participation in structural qualification and thermal testing, including spacecraft level vibration test.
- Good interpersonal skills, attitude to teamwork, both with the internal team and with external stakeholders.
- Excellent job autonomy in the management of technical and organizational issues.
- Interest for Research domain in materials science.
- Fluent in English, both written and oral.
You are a recent graduate, and you want to get a first experience in project management with an industrial partner. You’re the one we’re looking for!
French is considered as an advantage.
Your LIST benefits
- An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects.
- Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society.
- Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do.
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce.
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions.
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science.
- 32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers.
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills.
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation, and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience.
- A CV with contact details.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age, or disability.
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities.
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced