M-2017 – R&T ASSOCIATE IN THE FIELD OF PROCESS AUTOMATION AND ACCELERATED MATERIALS DISCOVERY
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the department, with over 190 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. The department’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars supported by dedicated platform specialists as below:
- nanomaterials and nanotechnology
- scientific instrumentation and process technology
- structural composite materials and manufacturing
- functional polymer
The new “Process modelling, automation and robotisation (PROMAR)” group is currently being set-up in the Scientific Instrumentation and Process Technology (SIPT) RDI unit of the MRT Department. In addition, the unit comprises the Advanced Instrumentation for Nano-Analytics (AINA) and the Plasma Process Engineering (PPE) groups. The PROMAR group will focus on Accelerated Materials Discovery and will develop modular materials platforms that integrate synthesis and characterization. This will enable the development of closed-loop schemes that reduce the iteration time for each experiment, improve the reproducibility of each outcome, and optimize the efficiency of experimental campaigns. The result will be a data-driven discovery platform that maximally leverages existing capabilities within LIST while boldly exploring new frontiers of materials functionality, synthesis, and characterization.
The PROMAR group will apply its discovery capabilities to societally relevant applications such as energy storage and plastics circularity through close collaborations across LIST's applied science groups. The PROMAR group will develop pilot systems, collect large engineering data sets, develop machine learning and AI algorithms to identify design rules, and discover novel materials that solve critical challenges. In this context, the PROMAR group will progressively develop expertise in select critical areas: modelling and simulation, data systems engineering, and automation. Following LIST’s RTO approach, the developments of the PROMAR group will be progressively implemented into prototypes and pilot lines that are either available within LIST or that will be expressly set up for these activities.
How will you contribute?
We are now recruiting an experienced Research & Technology Associate specialised in process automation for the PROMAR Group. The responsibilities of the candidate will include:
- elaborating, in close coordination with the group leader, a roadmap in the field of process automation and accelerated materials discovery;
- defining a strategy to implement this roadmap, in particular by defining and leading new project activities in this field, including writing and submitting proposals for competitive funding and collaborating with industrial partners;
- coordinating activities with the other RDI Units of the Department;
- supervising post-doc researchers and PhD students participating in these projects;
- disseminating, valorising and transferring RDI results (patents, licenses, prototypes, publications, technical reports, participation in conferences, etc.);
- participating in the management of the group’s laboratories and taking charge of some of the group’s instruments, including fulfilling the equipment quality and compliance follow-up and training the users;
- reporting to the group leader.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- You hold a PhD in physics, chemistry, materials science or a related field
Experience and skills
- Have a proven track record of relevant professional experience. The positioning within LIST’s grid will be based upon this experience
- Strong experimental skills in the field of process automation.
- Experience in setting-up new academic and industrial collaborations
- Experience in grant writing
- Possess a sound experience in valorising scientific and technological results
- Interest in working with prototype instrumentation
- Excellent communication, flexibility, organizational and interpersonal skills with team-oriented mind-set.
- Fluency in English (both written and oral) is mandatory.
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate