E-2269 RESEARCHER IN FRESH WATER BIODIVERSITY MONITORING AND ASSESSMENT
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as research support contributor? Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise, and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention, monitoring and control.
To this end, the mission of the ERIN department is:
- To conduct impact-driven scientific research and development, as well as technological innovation
- To support companies in the implementation of new environmental regulations and advise governments on determining sustainable policies for the future, with the objectives of:
- To analyse, manage, and exploit sustainable resources (water, air, soil, renewable energy, bioresources)
- To reduce the environmental impact of human consumption and production activities.
You will join ERIN’s Observatory for Climate, Environment and Biodiversity (OCEB). The OCEB is a multidisciplinary platform including researchers and engineers who push the state of the art in environmental and ecological monitoring and assessment. With its cutting-edge technological infrastructures and monitoring networks, the OCEB platform offers a wide range of services and leverages expertise and knowledge to produce scientific evidence for supporting policy-making processes and research applications focusing on sustainable and informed management of natural resources.
Within the OCEB, the Biodiversity Monitoring and Assessment (BIODIV) team focusses on innovating the way data is sampled in the field to evaluate the spatial and temporal dynamics of living organisms. As a national hub at the interface between the scientific community and decision/policy makers in Luxembourg, the BIODIV team makes use and develops technologies to strengthen knowledge and competences on biodiversity monitoring and assessment in terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems across the country. In freshwater ecosystems, macroinvertebrates and diatoms are key groups of interest that are used by the team as indicators of water quality.
How will you contribute?
We are looking for a skilled and highly motivated researcher with experience in freshwater ecology, monitoring and/or assessment, with a marked interest for the development of innovative approaches for biodiversity data collection and processing, and with a strong background in biodiversity data analysis.
You will be integrated in the BIODIV team whose experts will share their knowledge and know-how with him/her. As a member of the OCEB platform, you will contribute to the development of the team and regularly communicate on your work progress during both technical and scientific meetings.
Your main missions will include:
- Participate in R&D projects on biodiversity monitoring and assessment with a strong focus on freshwater ecosystems.
- Carry out biodiversity inventories mainly in rivers and lakes, including sample collection and preparation.
- Improve the collection and management of data needed for freshwater biodiversity monitoring programmes and contribute to the development of statistical analyses for such data.
- Contribute to the development of innovative approaches for the processing and analysis of collected data and samples in different types of ecosystems (e.g., machine learning methods applied to microscopical images, eDNA metabarcoding applied to environmental samples).
- Participate in the development of prototype devices for automated biodiversity data acquisition.
- Participate in the delivery of advanced training courses on the taxonomy and ecology of freshwater organisms.
- Contribute to the preparation of technical reports and oral/poster presentations.
- Publish high-quality research articles in peer-reviewed international journals.
- Generate and protect IP in the context of his/her research activities (e.g., patents, licences).
- Attend international conferences.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a PhD degree in a relevant discipline such as environmental/biological sciences, ecology, conservation biology or equivalent and you have a two years of relevant postdoc experience on biodiversity monitoring, data management and/or statistical analysis. Additionally you have the following technical skills:
- Strong experience in freshwater biodiversity sampling and monitoring
- Expertise in biodiversity data processing and analysis
- Experience with laboratory work (e.g., handling field samples, microscopic slides preparation)
- Experience in innovative molecular approaches for ecological survey and monitoring (e.g., high throughput sequencing applied to eDNA samples and bioinformatic data analysis)
- Pronounced sense of organization and ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting
- Good skills in oral communication, an aptitude for scientific writing, and an interest to work on multidisciplinary projects
- Driving license valid in Luxembourg and ease of use of vehicles in the field
Last but not least, the following are nice to have skills:
- Experience with European freshwater diatoms or another key group of interest for biodiversity monitoring in freshwater ecosystems
- Knowledge of bioinformatic pipelines (e.g., R and/or Python, Mothur, RaxML)
- Experience with GIS applications and operations for basic work with spatial data
- Experience with scanning electron microscope techniques (SEM)
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate