IT Operations and Security Manager - Remote
Simprints is a nonprofit tech company with a mission to radically increase transparency and effectiveness in global development. We build ethical, inclusive digital ID powered by biometrics to ensure that every vaccine, every dollar, and every public good reaches the people who need them most. Simprints partners with organisations like Gavi to boost immunisation rates in developing countries, Ministries of Health like Ghana on pandemic response, and NGOs like BRAC to deliver maternal healthcare. Studies have shown Simprints increases impact through real-time, precision data, for example increasing maternal health visits by 38% in Bangladesh or accurate HIV tracing by 62% in Malawi. Today we’ve worked in over 17 countries helping deliver health, aid, and finance to >2.5M people.
About the Role
This is a unique and brand new role, combining Cybersecurity and Technology.
For the right candidate it will be a career-defining opportunity which sees them build out an IT Department within this dynamic non-profit tech startup, whilst developing and integrating an Information Security approach.
As our IT Operations and Security Manager, you will report directly to the CTO, and support us to develop a Service Delivery practice, iterate our approaches to endpoint security and desktop management, manage and support our cloud backend, support our users, and drive forward an ISO27001 programme of work.
You will be a critical and core leader in our technology leadership team, driving forward an ambitious strategy which includes a bold Open Source strategy in a technology-centric business where you contribute directly to our mission to end poverty using technology for good.
- Coordinate the provisioning, support, and management of a range of Linux, OSX, and Windows endpoints;
- Manage accounts and IAM systems, ensuring on and offboarding happen smoothly, and assisting with any access issues;
- Manage our Google Workspace instance, productivity and devops tools, provisioning/supporting as appropriate for the broader Product & Engineering team to support CI/CD;
- Design and manage permission and authorization strategies in line with our security policy;
- Write, update, and communicate key policies and procedures, including Service Delivery Target Operating Model, SLAs, Information Security, and IT strategy;
- Provide support to end-users with software/hardware issues as well as cloud provisioning, use, deployment, and innovation;
- Administering and maintaining other business-critical platforms (or supporting and overseeing the business owner who does), including data platforms, Salesforce, CharlieHR, Slack.
- Maintaining an asset inventory of key software, hardware, and cloud assets;
- Update our approach to endpoint protection, procuring, deploying and managing a tool that meets our needs;
- Update our approach to device management, configuring and managing a platform that meets our needs;
- Remediating security vulnerabilities by maintaining a Vulnerability Management programme across our key assets;
- Acting as an Incident Captain where necessary and maintaining & testing an Incident Response plan and playbooks for critical incidents;
- Running and monitoring an ISO27001 compliance program, aiming to bring us to full compliance within 2-3 years;
- Supporting our broader product development and strategy process to ensure it contains the right cryptographic, security, and other controls to protect critical assets.
- Skilled in OSX, Windows Operating systems;
- Experience with Google Workspace;
- Strong knowledge of ITIL or other structured approaches for IT service delivery;
- Experience managing complex technology environments, including system administration, end-user support, and service management;
- Experience of ISO27001 or a similar compliance framework;
- Hands-on cybersecurity experience (e.g. responsibility for elements of an information security programme such as vulnerability management, risk assessment, security-by-design);
- Experience operating and deploying EDR and MDM software;
- Experience of BYOE / user-managed computing;
- Deep experience with cybersecurity, including technical cybersecurity certifications, certification in Information Security Management such as CISSP;
- Experience in structured risk management & Information Security control standards, perhaps including certification e.g. accredited ISO27001 / PCI-DSS practitioner;
- Deep experience with technology management, perhaps including relevant technology certifications, such as ITIL and/or a project management certification;
- Experience in modern, high-paced ‘startup-style’ engineering culture;
- Experience with (or supporting) an environment practising Agile Software Development;
- Experience in the International development sector;
- Lived experience of the Global South or intersectional inequality.
Life is short. We believe work should be awesome, meaningful, and fun. At Simprints we’re taking on global development’s biggest challenges, powered by an amazing culture and incredible people. Work with us, and you will grow faster, learn more, and take on great responsibilities with potential to make lasting change.
- Social impact. Work directly with our partners and users to deliver technology that has the potential to impact millions of lives.
- Incredible, diverse team. Ask any “Simployee” what their favourite thing about working at Simprints is, and the answer is likely to be “the people.” Our work is at the intersection of technology and global development, and we’ve managed to build an amazing team drawn from the best technology companies, iNGOs, UN agencies, and universities around the world.
- Flexible hours. More efficient late at night? Better before the sun rises? That’s fine by us. We are looking for people who get the job done, not for people who work between 9am and 5pm.
- Unlimited paid time off. We set high standards and goals, but give people the freedom to choose when and how to recharge. Join a team that trusts you with the job.
- Professional development. We promote continual learning with self-directed learning objectives, external mentors, and regular one-on-one feedback. We also put our money where our mouth is with a dedicated ‘Learning ’ budget, managed by our Talent and Operations team.
- Personalised Wellbeing. Each of our “Simployees” have access to Juno, an online marketplace with hundreds of wellbeing products and services to choose from.
- Fieldwork around the world. We try to ensure that every role—from software engineer to strategic partnerships lead—gets a chance to travel with the team and see our impact in person if they want to.
Simprints is an equal opportunity employer. We pride ourselves in our firm commitment to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We aim to attract, hire, grow, and retain the most qualified candidates regardless of race, gender, ability, religion, nationality, age, sexuality, and other differences. We encourage interested and suitable candidates who are part of underrepresented groups to apply for this position.
We are recruiting on a rolling basis for this role. With that in mind, we advise candidates to apply as soon as possible as we will be reviewing applicants on a first come first served basis. This vacancy will be closed once a suitable candidate has been identified.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced