E-2326 LCA ANALYST AND SOFTWARE DEVELOPER
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as research support contributor? Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
The department relies on two cutting-edge platforms, the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform and the Observatory for the Climate and the Environment, and the GreenTech Innovation Centre (GTIC): a one-stop-shop for the complete development of bio-based products and processes.
How will you contribute?
As part of a Research and Technology Organization (RTO), the work of the Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) Department tackles some of the major environmental challenges our society is facing today, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, the efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control. To this end, the mission of the ERIN department is:
(1) To conduct impact-driven scientific research and development, as well as technological innovation
(2) To support companies in the implementation of new environmental regulations and advise governments on determining sustainable policies for the future, with the objectives of:
- Analysing, managing and exploiting sustainable resources (water, air, soil, renewable energy, bio-resources)
- Reducing the environmental impact of human consumption and production activities.
You will join the Environmental Sustainability Assessment and Circularity (SUSTAIN) Unit of ERIN. SUSTAIN develops knowledge, transferable (software) technologies, practical methods and outreach activities for the simulation and comprehensive sustainability assessment of societal systems. Its final purpose is to foster sustainable eco-innovation, through products and technologies, as well as support sustainability-oriented policy implementation and behavioural change to promote decarbonisation transitions.
Within the SUSTAIN Unit, you will be incorporated in the Life Cycle Sustainability Analysis (LCSA) research group. The group consists of ca. 25 researchers developing sustainability metrics and indicators, to assess the environmental and social impacts of products, technologies, territories and policies, for both industrial organisations and policy makers.
Contribution to RDI projects:
- You will work as LCA analyst and LCA software developer in the framework of two European projects, contributing to three main types of research activities:
- The assessment of innovative technologies and management practices in the field of farm management and optimization and vineyard management based on artificial intelligence decision support system and robotics;
- Designing and implementing REST APIs based on Life Cycle Assessment (LCA, according to ISO 14040) tools like the open source LCA framework Brightway2 (https://brightway.dev);
- Developing graphical user interfaces under the form of web applications. You will collaborate in the development of prototypes of web-applications and calculation backends.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a Master’s degree in computer science or environmental science or engineering
You have a proved previous research experience in sustainability or LCA and good programming skills
You also have:
- Proven organizational skills and interdisciplinary thinking and a problem-solving mind-set
- Strong team-working capability, but you are also able to work in autonomy and creatively
- Knowledge of Python programming language and/or Brightway2
- Experience in working in EU funded projects
You have a flawless command in English (both spoken and written).
Knowledge of Luxembourgish, French and/or German is an asset
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced
- Read B1 IntermediateWrite B1 IntermediateSpeak B1 Intermediate
- Read B1 IntermediateWrite B1 IntermediateSpeak B1 Intermediate
- Read A2 ElementaryWrite A2 ElementarySpeak A2 Elementary