E-2304 EXPERIENCED RESEARCHER IN LCSA AND CIRCULARITY OF PRODUCT SYSTEMS
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as researcher ? Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
The department relies on two cutting-edge platforms, the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform and the Observatory for the Climate and the Environment, and the GreenTech Innovation Centre (GTIC): a one-stop-shop for the complete development of bio-based products and processes.
How will you contribute?
You will join the Environmental Sustainability Assessment and Circularity (SUSTAIN) Unit of ERIN. SUSTAIN develops knowledge, transferable (software) technologies, practical methods and outreach activities for the simulation and comprehensive sustainability assessment of societal systems. Its final purpose is to foster sustainable eco-innovation, through products and technologies, as well as support sustainability-oriented policy implementation and behavioural change to promote decarbonisation transitions.
Within the SUSTAIN Unit, you will be incorporated in the Life Cycle Sustainability Analysis (LCSA) research group. The group consists of ca. 25 researchers developing sustainability metrics and indicators, to assess the environmental and social impacts of products, technologies, territories and policies, for both industrial organisations and policy makers.
We are looking for a skilled and highly motivated researcher with experience in Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment, with a marked interest for the design and assessment of circular systems, and with a good background in engineering. In the short term the main application domain will be the manufacturing industry, with special focus on the assessment of smart and digital enabled technologies and business models. In the medium and long term, the researcher is expected to develop a research stream around the management and assessment of Earth and Space resources.
You will be integrated in a team of experienced researchers in sustainability assessment, characterized by a broad range of expertise and diverse cultural backgrounds, and united by the common purpose of sustaining the sustainability transition.
Your main missions will include:
- Develop R&D activities on sustainability assessment of products systems and technologies, in the framework of European and national research projects and collaborative/contract research projects with industrial partners
- Attract European and National funding, by submitting highly competitive research proposals as principal investigator or contributor, in the field of sustainability and circularity assessment of technologies
- Publish high-quality research articles in peer-reviewed international journals.
- Generate and protect IP in the context of your research activities (e.g., patents, licenses).
- Attend international conferences.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
PhD in Life Cycle Assessment/Life Cycle Management/Industrial Ecology - Master’s degree in engineering
4-years postdoctoral experience
- Broad knowledge of industrial ecology methodologies
- Master at least a programming language (Python preferred)
- Good knowledge of LCA software (SimaPro, GaBi and OpenLCA)
- Proven organizational skills and interdisciplinary thinking, a problem-solving mind-set, and a strong team-working capability, but is also able to work in autonomy and creatively.
Flawless knowledge of English (both spoken and written) is required. Knowledge of Luxembourgish, French and/or German is an asset.
Additionally, it will be considered as an asset:
- Proficiency in Brightway2
- Previous experience in EU proposals writing
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced