Senior Technical Project Manager (Bangladesh based)
Simprints is a nonprofit tech company with a mission to radically increase transparency and effectiveness in global development. We build ethical, inclusive digital ID powered by biometrics to ensure that every vaccine, every dollar, and every public good reaches the people who need them most. Simprints partners with organizations like Gavi to boost immunization rates in developing countries, Ministries of Health like Ghana on pandemic response, and NGOs like BRAC to deliver maternal healthcare. Studies have shown Simprints increases impact through real-time, precision data, for example increasing maternal health visits by 38% in Bangladesh or accurate HIV tracing by 62% in Malawi. Today we’ve worked in over 17 countries helping deliver health, aid, and finance to >2.5M people.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about delivering and growing technology-based solutions in Bangladesh with a particular focus in the health sector, through a partnership approach with the Ministry of Health and implementing partners. There is an opportunity to expand and grow within the organisation, whilst having an exciting role scope and the ability to contribute to social impact objectives.
You will work closely with Simprints’ partners on expanding projects in the country. One such key project is the successful implementation of biometrics in validating vaccine delivery for toddlers aged 9 to 15 month olds in Bangladesh. With support from GAVI- the Vaccine Alliance and collaboration with EPI-DGHS and Unicef, this project will be the first in the world to use toddler biometrics for immunisation in a live setting. This role is unique in its breadth, offering the opportunity to collaborate with almost every team at Simprints. You’ll work closely with Simprints partnership managers to develop a deep understanding of our partners' needs, work with our engineers to implement our technical solutions, lead our coordination in Bangladesh in collaboration with the leadership team, and analyse data with monitoring & evaluation (M&E) specialists.
This role will report to the Director of Delivery based in the UK, whilst maintaining close working relationships with the Chief Delivery Officer and with the Director of Partnerships. We expect the ideal candidate to grow with the company and country operations. This role is ideal for someone seeking a route to a leadership role.
This post is based in Dhaka, with frequent deployments to project sites.
- Implement our projects in Bangladesh from start to finish: including preparation of pre-deployment materials, logistics coordination, and on-the-ground training and support. Ensuring we implement all project deliverables in coordination with the Global / Technical Project Manager.
- Proactively monitor, manage and improve our service delivery: investigate any significant issues reported by clients; communicate updates and issues; identify and mitigate project risks; and provide appropriate, effective, and timely action.
- Supervise and support: Travel to project sites to conduct or support the training and ongoing coaching of trainers; and monitor field activities
- Build and manage strong relationships: with our partners through regular coordination with key stakeholders, from government officials to users of our technology. Demonstrating excellent stakeholder management and attention to detail whilst delivering our custom solution and providing detailed project input into donor reports.
- Identify and build new opportunities: Work closely with our partnerships teams to identify and develop new opportunities in Burkina Faso and the region.
- Significant project management experience: ideally in the Technology for Development space. You’ve managed projects in Bangladesh and have at least 3 years of experience working directly or indirectly on technology solutions or field programs
- User focused solutions: You have experience in researching and understanding user behaviour to design appropriate technology for development solutions
- Experience configuring or implementing data collection platforms: such as DHIS2, CommCare, ODK, OpenSRP, and/or other technology platforms commonly used in global development. You are knowledgeable about, have designed, or implemented workflows common among frontline workers in development programs (e.g. health care, aid distribution, research, education).
- Understanding of technical concepts. You are able to understand at a high level the technical elements of desktop, mobile and cloud software services and applications with a specific emphasis on data concepts. You should also be able to create data flow diagrams and understand privacy impact assessments.
- Excellent stakeholder management and communication skills. You are empathetic and seek to understand different perspectives, bring clarity to ambiguous or ill-defined needs, can negotiate diplomatically when there are competing interests, and influence across stakeholder groups to secure buy-in and alignment .
- Good analytical skills: You should be able to assess issues relating to digital technology projects, and provide advice on practical technology or operational solution strategies
- Strong training skills. We work across multiple sectors with a variety of stakeholders. Being able to tailor training to audiences of varying technical literacy levels, for a number of different use cases and workflows is crucial. You are comfortable hosting virtual training as well as conducting in-person training in resource-limited settings.
- Attention to detail and proactive implementation. Global development work is complex and unpredictable. To proactively anticipate risks, assess implicit requirements on top of contractual deliverables, and successfully meet ever-changing needs, you need to be able to translate a high-level idea into concrete, detailed action steps and documentation.
- Time management. You are organised, process-oriented, and attentive to following through on planned tasks and activities. You know how to allocate and shift resources to provide support to team members as needed, ensuring that project deliverables are met on time and on budget.
- Language & communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English with experience to influence advocacy. Expected to be multilingual and can at least speak 1 local language in projects they are managing. If required, should be open to learning new language
- You must hold the right to work in Bangladesh
- Experience with agile development methods and processes (e.g. scrum)
- Proven ability to communicate technical topics to low literate audience
- Interest in and/or experience in M&E or data analysis
- Working proficiency in other languages welcome
What we value
- Integrity. You have an unwavering commitment to ‘confronting the grey’ in all areas of your work, and encourage transparency in all your interactions.
- Intellect. You understand the importance of rigorously detailed data, and have a strong ability to synthesise complex and potentially competing requirements, and convert them into recommendations that drive business decisions.
- Problem-solving. You have distinctive problem solving skills and good business judgement. You work in collaboration with other team members to identify creative solutions to complex problems.
- Curiosity. You have a desire to think innovatively and explore and understand how different perspectives and complex data blend together to create the bigger picture and context.
- Learning. You love learning new things, are able to think on your feet, and can pick up new tools and methods quickly.
- Grit. You have a hands-on, can-do attitude and have the drive to dig deep into problems to discover pain points and features from multiple perspectives, and resilience to stay focused on a project to the end.
- Passion. If being part of a team that designs and deploys technology for global health sounds exciting, we want to meet you!
Life is short. We believe work should be awesome, meaningful, and fun. At Simprints we’re taking on global development’s biggest challenges, powered by an amazing culture and incredible people. Work with us, and you will grow faster, learn more, and take on great responsibilities with potential to make lasting change.
- Social impact. Work directly with our partners and users to deliver technology that has the potential to impact millions of lives.
- Incredible, diverse team. Ask any “Simployee” what their favourite thing about working at Simprints is, and the answer is likely to be “the people.” Our work is at the intersection of technology and global development, and we’ve managed to build an amazing team drawn from the best technology companies, iNGOs, UN agencies, and universities around the world.
- Flexible hours. More efficient late at night? Better before the sun rises? That’s fine by us. We are looking for people who get the job done, not for people who work between 9am and 5pm.
- Unlimited paid time off. We set high standards and goals, but give people the freedom to choose when and how to recharge. Join a team that trusts you with the job.
- Professional development and wellbeing. We promote continual learning with self-directed learning objectives, external mentors, and regular one-on-one feedback. We also put our money where our mouth is with a dedicated ‘Learning ’ budget, managed by our Talent and Operations team.
Simprints is an equal opportunity employer. We pride ourselves in our firm commitment to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We aim to attract, hire, grow, and retain the most qualified candidates regardless of race, gender, ability, religion, nationality, age, sexuality, and other differences. We encourage interested and suitable candidates who are part of underrepresented groups to apply for this position.
- Read B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate