IE-2310 - PERSISTENCE OF VIRAL RNA AND VIRAL PARTICLES IN WASTEWATER NETWORK INTERNSHIP
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You‘d like to contribute as an intern? Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
The department relies on two cutting-edge platforms, the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform and the Observatory for the Climate and the Environment, and the GreenTech Innovation Centre (GTIC): a one-stop-shop for the complete development of bio-based products and processes.
As part of their activities in the Environmental Microbiology and Biotechnology group, researchers develop knowledge, know-how and innovative solutions in relation to the contamination of water, food and the environment by pathogenic microorganisms. The research group is engaged in understanding the way these microorganisms interact with the matrices they encountered (water, air, food, soil, sediment, …) in order to precisely characterize the risk associated with food or water production and consumption, water-based recreational activities, water reuse in agriculture or cities.
How will you contribute?
You will be mainly in charge of:
- Assessing the stability and persistence of viral particles and viral RNA in wastewater network under real environmental condition
- Contributing to the literature review, experimental set-up and laboratory work under BSL-2 conditions
- Taking part in field work and biology molecular analysis and interpretation
- Modelling decay curves, estimating decay rates and statistical analyses
- Being integrated in an interdisciplinary research project
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- You are currently enrolled in a Master 2 in Virology, Environmental Microbiology, or other related fields that foresee a mandatory internship as a part of your diploma
Experience and skills
- Experience in standard laboratory methods in virology (for example cell culture, virus culture, RT-PCR, ...) is considered an asset
- Keen interest in infectious diseases research, working under BSL-2 conditions for experiments with viruses
- Good information seeking and assimilation skills, motivation to read and critically discuss scientific articles
- Strong analysis and problem-solving capacities
- Determination to overcome hurdles and successfully conclude experiments (perseverance)
- Good organizational skills, good time management, rigorousness, open to constructive criticism Good writing skills
- Good level both written and spoken English, French is considered an asset
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
32 days’ paid annual leave for a full time internship, 11 public holidays per annum, flexible working hours,
An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include a motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced