Senior Back-end Cloud Engineer - Remote
Simprints is a nonprofit tech company with a mission to radically increase transparency and effectiveness in global development. We build ethical, inclusive digital ID powered by biometrics to ensure that every vaccine, every dollar, and every public good reaches the people who need them most. Simprints partners with organisations like Gavi to boost immunisation rates in developing countries, Ministries of Health like Ghana on pandemic response, and NGOs like BRAC to deliver maternal healthcare. Studies have shown Simprints increases impact through real-time, precision data, for example increasing maternal health visits by 38% in Bangladesh or accurate HIV tracing by 62% in Malawi. Today we’ve worked in over 17 countries helping deliver health, aid, and finance to >2.5M people.
About the Role
We are looking for a cloud-native back-end engineer to join our growing tech team, working on either our core Simprints ID platform or specific projects. You will also be able to contribute to our journey as we begin to open-source our products to help drive market adoption of biometrics. In addition, you will be responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining Simprints applications and their integrations, both with our internal back-end services and external data collection applications.
You will work on an agile, collaborative team with a commitment to clean code and robust design, along with a strong culture of continuous learning and improvement. You will help the project management team assess feature feasibility and create a plan of action. If building technology for global health sounds exciting, we want to meet you!
This is a remote job, We like collaboration and speak to each other several times a day - between 10am and 3pm UK time. To keep the collaborative team spirit we are looking for colleagues in GMT -2/+3 - or colleagues who are able to relocate to the UK. At the time being, we will only be considering applicants within these parameters.
At Simprints, we want everyone to feel ownership of the tasks they are working on, starting from your first day. Within the first month, we’ll help you set your environment up, and you will be contributing improvements to our products in no time. By your third month, you will be comfortable building new functionality and will have a good understanding of how our products are used. In six months, you will lead with a high degree of autonomy the design and development for our roadmap and projects.
- Design technical solutions to help Simprints scale to support projects all over the world
- Team with other Cloud engineers to write robust code that is easy to test and maintain, and runs reliably in challenging settings
- Build APIs that expose our data and events for other areas of Simprints to derive insights and measure the impact of our projects.
- Work on cross-functional projects by collaborating with mobile engineers, data analysts and external stakeholders
- Mentor junior engineers by guiding them through code reviews and making design decisions
- Ensure that the products we build are both performant and secure
- Create specification documents that outline designed solutions and a plan of action to achieve them
- Suggest and implement improvements in the way we build our products
- A passionate problem solver who can help us find a way to achieve our mission
- Deep understanding of GCP with at least 5 years of experience building, integrating, testing, and supporting cloud hosted applications.
- A bit of an SQL/BigQuery wizard to assist with navigating large datasets to troubleshoot and monitor application performance.
- Well versed in the best practices of secure application development
- Solid understanding of the full software development lifecycle including application architecture design
- Experience working within a team with a focus on code quality, where testing, code reviews, and continuous integration are the norm
- Working knowledge of Go (our code base is written in it)
- Experience with “serverless” GCP services such as Cloud Run, Firestore, Cloud Pub/Sub and BigQuery.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code, and especially Terraform.
Life is short. We believe work should be awesome, meaningful, and fun. At Simprints we’re taking on global development’s biggest challenges, powered by an amazing culture and incredible people. Work with us, and you will grow faster, learn more, and take on real responsibilities with the potential to make lasting changes.
- Genuine Impact. Work directly with our partners and users to deliver technology that has the potential to impact millions of lives.
- An incredible, diverse team. Ask any “Simployee” what their favourite thing about working at Simprints is, and the answer is likely to be “the people.” Our work is at the intersection of technology and global development, and we’ve managed to build an amazing team drawn from all over the world. But don’t take our word for it—we’re an externally recognized Great Place to Work and 2022 Best Workplace for Women
- Flexible hours. More efficient late at night? Better before the sun rises? That’s fine by us. We are looking for people who get the job done, not for people who work between 9am and 5pm.
- Professional development. We promote continual learning with self-directed learning objectives, external mentors, and regular one-on-one feedback. We also put our money where our mouth is with a dedicated ‘Learning ’ budget, and access to global experts through the GLG network.
- Personalised Wellbeing. Each of our “Simployees” has access to Juno, an online marketplace with hundreds of wellbeing products and services to choose from.
- Unlimited paid time off/enhanced parental leave. We set high standards and goals, but give people the freedom to choose when and how to recharge. Join a team that trusts you with the job. We also offer enhanced maternity/paternity leave
Simprints is an equal opportunity employer. We pride ourselves in our firm commitment to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace. We aim to attract, hire, grow, and retain the most qualified candidates regardless of race, gender, ability, religion, nationality, age, sexuality, and other differences. We encourage interested candidates who are part of underrepresented groups to apply for this position. If you do not meet all of the requirements but think you are a fit, please still apply. We recognize that not all careers look the same.
We are recruiting on a rolling basis for this role. With that in mind, we advise candidates to apply as soon as possible as we will be reviewing applicants on a first come first served basis. This vacancy will be closed once a suitable candidate has been identified.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced