M-2378 PHD CANDIDATE STUDY CHEMICAL SIGNALS OF FIELD EFFECT SENSORS
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its more than 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
You will be part of a highly collaborative team that will investigate the analysis of proteins with bio sensors made with field effect transistors. You will fabricate, transform and integrate some of the most advanced bio-sensors, including graphene liquid gate transistors, and silicon nanowires to unveil the properties of proteins. You will also develop microfluidic platforms for micro Total Analysis Systems that will contain these sensors to exploit the full functionality to extract the maximum of information.
During your PhD you will span your knowledge starting from the fundamentals in topics such as microfluidics, microfabrication of sensors and Microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), nano sensors and electrical chemical characterization of sensors and reach the state-of the art in a subject which today is very much appreciated in academia and industry.
You will be part of an international team with collaborations outside Luxembourg.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You have a master's degree in solid state physics in the field of electronics or electrochemistry, as well as a strong sense of dedication and motivation. Furthermore, you have a strong interest in microfabrication, microfluidics and biosensors and prior experience in these fields will be advantageous for this position.
It is mandatory to have a positive attitude towards multidisciplinary tasks, as you will be involved with expertise from different fields.
Furthermore, you are a highly motivated team player. You speak English. You're the one we've been looking for!
Your LIST benefits
An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
- Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
- Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
- 32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
PhD additional conditions:
• Supervisor at LIST: Dr. Cesar Pascual Garcia (email@example.com)
• Work location: Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), Belvaux, Luxembourg
Candidates shall be available for starting their position in autumn 2023.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced