E-2368 SCIENTIST IN FLOOD MODELLING AND SATELLITE EO DATA ASSIMILATION
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
Do you want to know more about LIST ? check our website: https://www.list.lu/
With global change increasingly triggering hydro-climatological extremes, we aim at developing and improving satellite EO-based tools for monitoring and predicting natural disasters at large scale. Our research activities are wired around fundamental and applied questions related to an optimal combination of remote sensing measurements and numerical modelling-based simulations to better understand and predict variations of key environmental variables.
Discover our Environmental Research and Innovation department: ERIN Department
How will you contribute?
- Leading the group’s development, implementation and evaluation efforts related to Digital Twins, i.e. high precision digital replicas of Earth system components
- Integrating data streams from the global flood awareness system (GLOFAS) and the global flood monitoring system (GFMS) in order to enable improved hydrological predictions at large scale
- Developing and implementing methodologies enabling an effective assimilation of multi-source satellite EO data, crowd-sourced data, and in situ measured data into flood inundation models (e.g., flooding-related parameters derived from Synthetic Aperture Radar and optical remote sensing data) and other types of environmental models,
- Coupling hydraulic models with hydrological and atmospheric models to predict extreme events and to anticipate future changes in flood intensity and frequency,
- Developing research proposals to secure funding at national and international level,
- Collaborating to develop industrial and research partnerships and networks at national and international levels,
- Disseminating and publishing the results of your research in top ranked scientific journals and international conferences.
Moreover, you will contribute to the dissemination, valorisation and transfer of RDI results through:
- Software licensing,
- Participation in the drafting of technical reports, scientific articles, patents and inventions,
- Participation in the implementation of technological solutions (proof-of-concepts, prototypes).
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
PhD in hydrology, hydraulics, remote sensing, applied mathematics, geophysics, environmental sciences, civil/environmental engineering (or related subjects).
Experience and skills
- Advanced theoretical and hands-on knowledge in hydraulic modelling, in particular flood inundation modelling
- Advanced skills in data assimilation
- Knowledge in flood hazard and risk assessment
- Experience with the processing of satellite Earth Observation data
- Solid programming skills in Python. Programming in MATLAB, IDL, R accepted provided there is a clear and strong interest in transitioning to Python soon
- Experience in using flood data for parametric risk profiling, HPC usage, and big data analysis are considered assets
- Excellent communication skills in presenting scientific research, and writing papers in scientific journals, technical reports and proposals
- Communicative and willing to learn, self-organized, and creative.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in an international team across the ENVISION RDI unit.
- Good level both written and spoken English
Your LIST benefits
- An international group of remote sensing scientists and environmental modellers that will support you in setting and achieving your scientific and career objectives.
- A personalised training programme, allowing you to expand your portfolio of soft skills (e.g., communication, leadership, entrepreneurship) and technical skills (e.g., grant proposal preparation, IP management, prototype design and fabrication).
- A growth mindset with, e.g., opportunities for career-oriented visits to leading research and/or technology institutions in Europe and abroad.
- A top-level professional environment with highly motivated people, innovative ideas, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and international networks with institutes leading their field.
- A thriving academic and social environment in Luxembourg, characterised by a unique blend of cultures, mentalities, and languages.
- A competitive salary, including social insurance (health, accident, retirement).
- Our labs are located on the most important education and research campus in Luxembourg, the site has gradually grown to welcome the university of Luxembourg, various research and technology organizations, private businesses, public institutions, living accommodation and shops.
- Professional support through our HR department and administrative team for questions related to relocation, visa applications, onboarding, etc.
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science
- 32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance
- Flexible working hours, home working policy and access to lunch vouchers
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience
- A scientific CV with contact details (which includes lists of publications and secured funding)
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable)
- Contact details of 2 or 3 references
- A link to a portfolio of completed projects or your personal website can be included in the CV
Application procedure and conditions
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced