M-2482 PhD CANDIDATE IN POLYMER CATALYSTS ENGINEERING FOR FUEL CELLS
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech platforms, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing. These platforms serve both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
The MRT department is looking for a talented PhD Candidate to work in their project HYMAT. HYMAT is a large and multidisciplinary project that focuses on the discovery and development of materials for hydrogen generation and utilization. HYMAT is built around 8 highly complementary research axes, which will address key materials challenges faced in establishing specific technologies that will underpin the hydrogen economy. You will be supervised by experienced scientists and be granted access to state-of-the-art infrastructure to perform research on a topic at the forefront of societal and scientific discussion.
You will work in the framework of the HYMAT research axis #6: High Performance Diffusion Layers for Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells (PEMFCs). The main objective of the PhD thesis is to develop a method for the deposition and engineering of polyelectrolyte multilayer films on polymer substrates for fuel cell applications. This should enable the design and fast preparation of durable electrodes with reduced noble metal catalyst loading. The films will be constituted from polyelectrolytes-nanoparticles complexes deposited by means of spray deposition methods (vertical spraying of complexes). A deep understanding of the coalescence of polyelectrolyte complexes, which is mandatory to form homogeneous films from those complexes during the spraying process, will be developed. For fuel cell applications, membranes of controlled proton permeability and electrical conductivity will be prepared.
You will integrated to a very engaged and ambitious research team, is expected to develop these research activities at the highest scientific level.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a Master degree in Materials Science, Electrochemistry, Physical-Chemistry, Chemistry or Chemical Engineering, combined to a pronounced taste for experiments, team work spirit and strong motivation. A good knowledge in organic chemistry or polymer chemistry is a strong asset for this position.
On top of this, you’re highly motivated and able to work in a team. You are fluent in English. You’re the one we’re looking for !
Your LIST benefits
- An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
- Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
- Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
- 32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
- Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A scientific CV with contact details;
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable);
- Contact details of 2 references.
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
- Please note that by applying you consent to share your application with committee selection members from ”HYMAT”
PhD additional conditions:
- Supervisor at LIST: Dr Marc Michel
- Work location: Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), Belvaux, Luxembourg
- PhD enrolment: University of Luxembourg, Belval, Luxembourg
- Candidates shall be available for starting their position in February 2024. Please note the universities costs are at the charge of the student.
Your master diploma must be recognized in Luxembourg. Please refer to:
- Read B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate