I-2411 POSTDOC ON ROAD CHARACTERIZATION FOR BEYOND TIRES SERVICES
Two years contract | Belval
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
Do you want to know more about LIST ? check our website: https://www.list.lu/
Discover our IT for Innovation Services department: https://www.list.lu/en/informatics/
How will you contribute?
Do you have proven skills in data analysis, machine learning, as well as in mathematical and computational modelling?
You will have the opportunity to investigate innovative solutions for data analysis and definition of prediction models in the context of a collaborative project with Goodyear Luxembourg (one of our national industrial partners).
Road characterization is an essential part of mobility which influences all facets of driving and tire performances. That is why it is becoming a demanding strategic research area that significantly impacts the tire development industry. The prediction of the road conditions is linked to several external variables related to, road surface properties, tire properties, driving speed, and behaviours of road users. This project aims at studying different data sources such as sensor data, high-speed wheel encoders, vehicle data, accelerometer data, and acoustics data.
Your specific activities will include (but are not limited to):
· Identify the main challenges and existing solutions for analysis and categorization of data coming from different sources including for example hardware sensors providing tire information, real-time data sources and social media data.
· Apply techniques to validate and perform consistency checks on a dataset created from real data provided by our industrial partner.
· Develop novel technological solutions for the definition of reliable prediction models that are effective in approximating the behaviour of the complex systems defined by the dataset.
· Implement and validate the predictions models considering robustness and accuracy, applying them in real use cases.
· Disseminate the project results through project reports and deliverables, scientific publications in journals and conferences and presentations at industry events.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
· PhD degree on Computer Science and Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering, Applied Mathematics or Statistics with application or specialization in Data Science.
Required experience and skills:
· Experience in data analysis methods, tools and platforms.
· Proficiency in designing research studies, formulating research questions, and selecting appropriate methodologies for data collection and analysis. Understanding of experimental design, control variables, and data validity.
· Experience in building machine learning models.
· Experience with Python and its numerical libraries.
· Experience in using database systems (relational, data warehouse and data lake).
· Sound publication track record in relevant international conferences and journals.
· Ability to present research findings in a clear and concise manner through reports, presentations, and scientific papers.
· Experience of working in applied research projects preferably with industrial partners.
· Ability to work in teams geographically located in different partner’s facilities.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams, stakeholders, and industry experts.
· Good written and verbal communication skills in English is mandatory.
Nice to have experience:
· Road condition research knowledge and experience in the field of road condition research, including an understanding of road surface characteristics, friction coefficient, road texture, roughness, and related parameters. Familiarity with relevant research methodologies and techniques.
· Familiarity with data collection methods and sensors used to gather data on vehicles. Understanding of sensor technologies and their limitations.
· Experience in managing research projects, including planning, organizing, and coordinating research activities within specified timelines. Ability to prioritize tasks, set milestones, and monitor progress.
· Willingness to stay updated with the latest advancements in research, tire technology, data analysis techniques, and industry trends.
Your LIST benefits
· An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects
· Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society
· Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations in all that we do
· An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas
· Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills
· Multicultural and international work environment with more than 50 nationalities represented in our workforce
· Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions
· Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science
· 32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance
· Flexible working hours, home working policy and access to lunch vouchers
Your application must include:
· A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience
· A scientific CV with contact details
· List of publications (and patents, if applicable)
· Contact details of 2 references
Application procedure and conditions:
· LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability
· Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled
· An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities
· The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
Please note that by applying you consent to share your application with Mrs Veronique Martin-Lang, Chief Engineer Data Science and Analytics, and Mrs Eman Ahmed, Data Scientist, both from Goodyear Luxembourg.
Candidates shall be available for starting their position in January 2024.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced