I-2417 ENGINEER ON INDUSTRIAL DIGITAL TWINS AND OPTIMISATION
2 years contract | Belval
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment, and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
Do you want to know more about LIST? check our website: https://www.list.lu/
Discover our IT for Innovation Services department: https://www.list.lu/en/informatics/
How will you contribute?
You will have the opportunity to perform research and contribute to the design and implementation of innovative solutions involving Digital Twins and optimisation applied in the context of a large collaborative project with Waagner-Biro Stage Systems (one of our national industrial partners). In this project, the Digital Twin will be a central piece of a system that based on an accurate representation of a real evolving environment, will support analysis, simulation, and optimisation activities in the area of highly automated entertainment industry solutions.
Your specific activities will include (but are not limited to):
- Contribute to the design of a Digital Twin architecture adapted for replicating physical systems, with particular interest in the replication of indoor built environments with both stationary and moving components.
- Particular focus on data integration, modelling and Digital Twin services implementation (e.g., monitoring dashboards, predictive analytics)
- Design, implement, and test functional Digital Twin prototypes and interactive demonstrations to showcase the capabilities of the technology.
- Integrate real-time and historical data sources to develop new virtual models to be used in simulation environments and monitoring.
- Support the visualization research team on the integration of immersive visualization components for the Digital Twin
- In collaboration with the AI and Data Analytics Platform Team (AIDA), support the deployment of the Digital Twin prototype in a production environment to support the testing, deployment, simulation, and demonstration.
- In collaboration with the optimisation research team, collaborate with the design and implementation of a design exploration process that will take advantage of the Digital Twin to systematically evaluate different actions and configurations, in order to optimise designs and processes by considering simultaneously many objectives and constraints.
- Collaborate with cross-functional research and development teams to design algorithms and models for data processing and analysis.
- Prepare technical documentation, including architecture diagrams, code documentation and user guides.
- Keep up-to-date of emerging trends and innovations in the Digital Twin ecosystem.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- Engineering degree in Computer Science, Telecommunication Engineering, Civil Engineering or Applied Mathematics, with application or specialization in Digital Twins-related technologies and/or optimisation
- Holding a Ph.D. is an asset.
Required experience and skills:
- Expertise in Digital Twin-related technologies (e.g., data collection and modelling, AI-modelling, simulation).
- Expertise in optimization techniques and tools.
- Excellent programming skills, preferably in Python or Java.
- Expertise in simulation techniques (domain independent).
- Ability to conduct research and development freely, challenge and results-oriented mind-set, capacity to generate new ideas, concepts, and solutions.
- Ability to collaborate within an interdisciplinary team, good communication skills (oral, written, presentation) and ability to contribute to scientific publications/patents.
- Ability to present research and development findings, prototypes and demonstrators in a clear and concise manner through reports, presentations, and scientific papers.
Nice to have experience:
The following expertise is not required but is an asset:
- Full-stack development skills.
- Expertise in multi-objective optimization.
- Expertise in uncertainty quantification.
- Expertise on using Digital Twins to optimise engineering and/or business problems to, for example, reduce costs and risks, improving efficiency, security, reliability, resilience, etc.
- Experience on working in applied research projects preferably with industrial partners.
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English is mandatory.
Your LIST benefits
- An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects
- Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society
- Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations in all that we do
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 50 nationalities represented in our workforce
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science
- 32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance
- Flexible working hours, home working policy and access to lunch vouchers
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience
- A scientific CV with contact details
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable)
- Contact details of 2 references
Application procedure and conditions:
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
Please note that by applying you consent to share your application with Mr Jean Marie Schiltz, CEO, and Mr. Karlo Skokna, Project Manager, both from Waagner-Biro Stage Systems Luxembourg.
Candidates shall be available for starting their position in first quarter 2024.
- Read C1 AdvancedWrite C1 AdvancedSpeak C1 Advanced