M-2423 POSTDOC IN SIMULATION OF ELECTRIC BUBBLE DYNAMICS
Temporary contract | 36 months | Full time/40h | Belvaux
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
Do you want to know more about LIST? Check our website: https://www.list.lu/
Discover our Materials department: https://www.list.lu/en/materials/
How will you contribute?
Ferroelectrics continue to mesmerize at the nanoscale. By inducing electrostatic or mechanic frustration on them, we can unlock a rich tapestry of dipole structures, including skyrmions and vortex lattices. Such polar textures are a hot research topic and offer a dual promise. First, their origin and behaviour pose intriguing questions begging for answers. Second, they hold great potential for groundbreaking applications, from outstanding voltage amplifications to shaping the future of 6G technologies.
In the realm of ferroelectric ultrathin films, we are facing new challenges. Applying an electric bias transforms the dipole landscape, giving rise to confined nanoregions (bubbles) with a polarization opposite to their embedding matrix. These bubbles are electric versions of magnetic skyrmions, and are more than just a rarity; they constitute a novel quasiparticle in their own right. Recent experimental observations and successful manipulation attempts have set the stage. Yet, their dynamical behaviour remains a largely unexplored frontier. Only lately our group at LIST predicted that electric bubbles will display Brownian motion.
We offer you a 3-year postdoc position in the project “Bubblaced”, led by Hugo Aramberri (email@example.com), and focused on the modelling of electric bubble quasiparticles. You will join the ongoing work by Hugo Aramberri and Jorge Íñiguez-González (also involved in the project) on understanding these objects using second-principles atomistic simulation methods, focusing on their dynamics and possible ways to act on them. You will also benefit from interactions with other team members. Join us in exploring the fascinating world of electric bubbles!
Get ready to dive into the captivating realm of ferroelectrics, where surprises at the nanoscale await discovery!
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- You hold a PhD degree in Condensed Matter Physics, Materials Science, or a related field.
Experience and skills
- You enjoy atomistic simulations, data visualization and/or data analysis.
- You like working in a collaborative environment.
- Previous knowledge of ferroelectrics and/or molecular dynamics is a plus.
- You can communicate fluently in English, both in writing and orally.
Your LIST benefits
- An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects
- Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society
- Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations in all that we do
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 50 nationalities represented in our workforce
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science
- 32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance
- Flexible working hours, home working policy and access to lunch vouchers
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience
- A scientific CV with contact details
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable)
- Contact details of 2 references
Application procedure and conditions
- We kindly request applicants to provide their nationality for statistical purposes only, as part of our commitment to promoting diversity and ensuring equal opportunities in our workforce. This information will be kept confidential and will not be used for any discriminatory purposes.
- LIST is dedicated to maintaining an inclusive work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to attracting, hiring, and retaining a diverse workforce. All applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on national origin, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age, or disability.
- Applications will be continuously reviewed until the position is filled. An assessment committee will thoroughly evaluate applications, adhering to guidelines designed to ensure equal opportunities. The primary criteria for selection will be the alignment of the applicant's existing skills and expertise with the requirements mentioned above.
- Candidates shall be available for starting their position in September 2024.
- Read B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate