E-2442 RESEARCHER IN REMOTE SENSING AND ECOSYSTEM FUNCTIONING
Temporary contract | 24 months | Belvaux
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
Do you want to know more about LIST? Check our website: https://www.list.lu/
Discover our Environmental Research and Innovation department: ERIN Department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department of LIST is focusing on pressing environmental challenges our society is facing today. Embedded in the department’s Environmental Sensing and Modelling (ENVISION) unit, the ‘Remote sensing and natural resources modelling’ group is carrying out impact-driven research, geared towards monitoring and predicting environmental systems in a changing world. Our research group capitalizes on a blend of remote sensing data obtained from space- and air-borne platforms, as well as in-situ data measured with Internet of Things (IoT) devices, for producing information on the status of natural resources.
Our research and development activities focus on the synergistic use, processing, and interpretation of data from multiple complementary active and passive sensors installed on both space- and airborne platforms. We rely on competences in environmental sciences, such as hydrology and hydraulics, meteorology, plant physiology, and geography for monitoring variations in Earth’s biotic and abiotic resources. We integrate remotely sensed information with in-situ data, process-based models, and leverage satellite communication, IoT and machine learning technologies in order to provide evidence-based decision support tools in near real time across a variety of thematic domains: disaster risk reduction, precision agriculture/viticulture/forestry, preservation and management of natural resources, maritime surveillance.
How will you contribute?
You will work closely with remote sensing experts and ecosystem functioning modelers on developing methodologies for estimating all-sky high spatio-temporal resolution evaporation and transpiration and generating continental-scale ET, GPP, and water use efficiency data from high-resolution satellite observations.
You will work on the ESA funded project European ECOSTRESS Hub that aims at developing and validating high spatial resolution ET, GPP, and water use efficiency products and understanding drought induced variability in vegetation water use.
You will also work partly on the FNR funded project ENCORE for evaporation and transpiration retrieval at a high spatio-temporal resolution to map crop water use and crop stress for improved irrigation scheduling and water management in semiarid agriculture.
You will contribute to these two RDI projects by:
- Integrating ECOSTRESS thermal data with high-resolution VNIR data and meteorological data in LST, ET and GPP models
- Developing ECOSTRESS data products on LST, ET, GPP, and water use efficiency in a cloud environment over Europe and Africa during the entire ECOSTRESS period
- Validating the generated ECOSTRESS products across Europe and Africa
- Contributing to SEB modeling for estimating high spatio-temporal resolution evapotranspiration under an analytical modelling framework and partitioning evapotranspiration
- Utilizing ECOSTRESS high spatial resolution ET and GPP data and other ancillary data to analyse ecosystem functioning.
- Developing software codes on a GitHub environment
- Contributing to the scientific and technical content of project reports,
- Disseminating and publishing the results of your research in top ranked scientific journals and international conferences.
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- A Ph.D. in Remote Sensing, Geography, Earth Science, Agriculture, Ecohydrology, Biometeorology, Hydrology, or a closely related field
Experience and skills
- Experience and knowledge in VNIR, shortwave infrared, and thermal infrared remote sensing. Notions about microwave remote sensing and SIF will be an asset.
- Experience and knowledge in evaporation modelling, conducting ecosystem flux/crop evapotranspiration measurements, micrometeorological instrumentation, specialized knowledge of ecohydrology, stomatal conductance, and surface energy balance.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively with researchers and students from different scientific backgrounds.
- Strong statistical and computer skills including demonstrated proficiency with computer coding, such as MATLAB, R, python, and expertise in statistical modelling.
- Experience in designing, planning, and conducting experimental procedures, including the ability to meet project goals in a timely manner, and follow through on project deliverables.
- The ability to communicate research findings both at professional meetings and in high quality peer-reviewed journals.
- Excellent technical, analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills. Strong attention to detail, and meticulous work style, as evidenced by previous research.
- Excellent English (oral and written)
Your LIST benefits
- An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects
- Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society
- Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations in all that we do
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 50 nationalities represented in our workforce
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science
- 32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance
- Flexible working hours, home working policy and access to lunch vouchers
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience
- A scientific CV with contact details
- List of publications (and patents, if applicable)
- Contact details of 2 references
Application procedure and conditions
- We kindly request applicants to provide their nationality for statistical purposes only, as part of our commitment to promoting diversity and ensuring equal opportunities in our workforce. This information will be kept confidential and will not be used for any discriminatory purposes.
- LIST is dedicated to maintaining an inclusive work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to attracting, hiring, and retaining a diverse workforce. All applicants will be considered for employment without discrimination based on national origin, race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age, or disability.
- Applications will be continuously reviewed until the position is filled. An assessment committee will thoroughly evaluate applications, adhering to guidelines designed to ensure equal opportunities. The primary criteria for selection will be the alignment of the applicant's existing skills and expertise with the requirements mentioned above.
- Read B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate